Forum members storm stories

36-tex

How about the HMS Bounty helo rescue today. 19th century replica. Good luck if you gotta go.

That ship was used in the Pirate of the Caribbean movies: it had water ten feet deep inside when the CG lifted most of the crew from inflatable life rafts. Two of the crew were swept off ship's decks during the evacuation and not recovered. Besides the leaks, the ship had lost power and that's one of the worst things that can happen in large seas as you can't keep the ship from going broadside to the waves.

Some quite dramatic video of the CG rescue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UDlc1slA8PA

The "downgrade" is indeed misleading because while there is no longer a "hurricane Sandy" there is still a superstorm whose impacts will increase through out the night for many people over the entire northeast US (I looked at a utility company outage map and it show power outages as far west as Indiana.

I have family in central PA and they are looking at 60+ mph winds yet to come. My dad is staying with someone who has no internet or cable so I have been calling him all day on his cell phone to give him the latest forecasts and I'm sure his the same position as many elderly people who have no idea of the scope of this thing. I finally convinced him to go someplace else with a lower risk of a tree crashing through the roof.

Yes, I hope no one thinks the downgrade means it's over -because it's not. I think some places in NY reported mid eighty mph wind gusts, not something you want to go out in.

I heard that there were power outages in 11 states, it's one big bad storm.

Hope your dad stays safe, as well as anyone else near this thing.

RC

I live on Long Island, so while the hurricane hit New Jersey and New York City pretty hard, Long Island also got it pretty bad...my street has become a river, and as I'm typing this I'm getting ready to suit up to attempt to brush the steadily creeping water away from touching the top of my driveway and getting into the garage. I've been helping my parents out with getting the house secured, and even though I said this is my first hurricane, my parents said that I also went through a Nor'Easter that hit a while back when I was a baby (I'm 23 now). I'm including a pic that shows the pine tree that fell over in my neighbors yard and uprooted the fence around the house. While we're lucky that neither of our houses were damaged, the fence may have to be totally replaced. On the bright side, no more pines clogging up the filter in the summer :lol:

ZFWdG.jpg

My son is on the USS Ross and as they pulled into port on Thursday they were sent back out after taking on some supplies. The whole 2nd Fleet went someplace.

My DIL sent me some video from Virginia Beach early this morning and they were getting dumped on but I don't think it was anything like the folks up north. PA, NJ, and NY sound like they are getting hammered.

You ladies and gents who are in the storm area stay safe.

I am in Upstate NY and the weather is getting pretty windy! It was interesting to go to Walmart today and see ALL the bottled water sold out, all bread, and most non-perishable items gone, and a long line of people waiting to fill water jugs.

I was wondering about the supplies holding out?? FIMA will be allover the place with food and water ASAP!!

My bags will be packed tomorrow. We will have a small contingent heading up. 8 chinooks from Georgia are supposed to show up on the ramp to get that much closer to the NE. It's about a 3-4 hour fligh for us to to the Philly area for us.

Mike

In my area of Queens, so far not a damn thing to report really, just heavier winds than usual, with the the rain that really, though steady was not that heavy at all, I seen worse this summer like rain pounding on my bedroom window non stop. Nothing really ever happens in this neibourhood, low crime, no real bad accidents etc, were blessed.

I'm in northeast PA. I spent the day making sure my college was buttoned down and we had plans in place for our dorm residents - then came home and we moved my in-laws from their house up to ours. Rain was less than expected and winds have been stiff but not as bad as predicted. We did lose power about 2 hours ago - 13 seconds later my generator kicked on, the auto transfer switched over to generator power and we had lights, heat, water, septic, refirgerators, freezer, the TV and the computer and internet. The generator runs off propane and we have a 1000 gallon tank buried in the yard.

Life is good!!

Be safe everyone!!

In my area of Queens, so far not a damn thing to report really, just heavier winds than usual, with the the rain that really, though steady was not that heavy at all, I seen worse this summer like rain pounding on my bedroom window non stop. Nothing really ever happens in this neibourhood, low crime, no real bad accidents etc, were blessed.

You got lucky: I've been on youtube looking at flooding in Rockaway, Brooklyn, Lower Manhattan, East Village, etc. and NYC is certainly taking on water in a big way. Did you see tthe photo of the water cascading into the World Trade Center construction site?

wtc.jpg

You got lucky: I've been on youtube looking at flooding in Rockaway, Brooklyn, Lower Manhattan, East Village, etc. and NYC is certainly taking on water in a big way. Did you see tthe photo of the water cascading into the World Trade Center construction site?

post-214-0-90517400-1351567716_thumb.jpg

Yeah I know, those areas always get it the worse, around here because we are smack dab in the center of Queens, the usual thing that happens is trees that come down, or the main run off to the sewers do not take the huge amount of rain water, thus making some low lying street coners flood, that,s about it really. I just live in a general area that nothing really occurs when there are Snow Storms or Hurricanes. There are some large parks around here that get more of their fare share of trees nocked down but that's really all.

Like I swear I never remember having a blackout around these parts, during a storm, ( Summer overloads, yes, like in 1977 and earlier when I was real small in 1964) there was not even one back in 1985 during Gloria. I was aware of one when I was living in LA back I think in 2003 that affected all of the Northeast right, but that was due to other things, other failures. In Astoria Queens in 2006 the power went out due to imcompetance on the part of Con Edision, and made worse Major Bloomberg's lackadaisical attitude, but like I said, then like now nothing catastropic happened here.

craig_pickrall

I'm in the woods camping in central VA. Park Ranger came by and told us to either go home or move to the one camp ground with fewest trees. There are 4 separate camp grounds in this park. The only people using them is the camp host and his wife, my wife and I and a couple that evacuated from NJ yesterday. We relocated to the treeless camp ground. Supposed to get 70 MPH winds tonight. I guess we will find out if the RV is a survivor. The poor people from NJ are in a tent. Hope it is wind proof. It has been raining for about 36 hours now so the ground is good and soft for falling trees.

Hi all, I want to wish you all a safe and speedy recovery, I know the American spirit will come thru as it usually does, but my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Kia Kaha (Stay Strong)

Phill

Even though I am on the other side of the country I have been watching it on CNN and hope everyone is okay. Saw a video of firefighters standing in water up to their waste just standing there watching an apartment building burn in a flooded street, not much could be done in terms of putting it out. Most of the places that they showed look to be ghost towns with just a few spread out "thrill seekers" but thank god there is good cooperation between the state, city, and federal levels which have helped minimize casualties.

Again hope everyone over there is okay and hunkered down.

Philip

I am here in upstate NY (just outside Albany) and all is well. Remarkably, other than some wind and light rain last night we came through the storm pretty unscathed. Believe-it-or-not the sun and some blue skies are actually peeking through the clouds this morning and the Canadian cold air is nowhere to be felt.

Tim

hi guys........tuesday morning,watching the radar all day yesterday.we are in south central pa,the eye passed about 50 miles to our south.heavy rain and high winds,didn't loose power.the creek next to our property behaved nicely.the thing that concerns us is just 11 months ago we went through lee which was 10 times worse,with lee we had 18 in of rain,12 in in a period of 4 hours.we have been here for 38 years and never had anything like this.hope everyone had as good luck as my wife and i with sandy.....dave

Worked patrol in Central PA. Lots of flooding, downed trees and crashes. My new generator kept my sump pumps working and my basement dry.

Collection intact.

whew!

Been following the blow by blow coverage on the BBC whilst I've been away. Stay safe all of you who find yourself in Sandy's path!!