Final "Band of Brothers" Reunion

Jumpin Jack

Thanks to Jake Powers, I was invited to attend the final reunion of the Easy Company, 506th PIR veterans able to make it to Overland Park, KS, these last three days. The honor that was paid to these gentlemen was outstanding, and certainly well earned. What impressed me the most was how they played off one another. The question came up regarding the nicknames accorded these men. For example, "Shifty" Powers earned his prior to his entry into the Army as a result of his talents for moving the stills around with great success. I asked Earl "The Indian" McClung why he shot out all the lights in the house of ill repute in Cherbourg. Without missing a beat, he responded, "Because they were there, but more importantly, to piss off Shifty." While these men are destined to pass, the history they made will live on well after them. Thank you Jake for this memorable honor. Jack Angolia

Wow, never expected them to close up shop with reunions this early. I understand they are becoming fragile etc.. But didn't expect this earlier

Dakota

Wow, never expected them to close up shop with reunions this early. I understand they are becoming fragile etc.. But didn't expect this earlier

Dakota

Most WWII reunion associations have already pretty much closed shop because of declining membership and the advanced age of the remaining survivors. Consider that someone who was in the military in October 1942 would be at least 88 today. I think this group held on longer than most.

Most WWII reunion associations have already pretty much closed shop because of declining membership and the advanced age of the remaining survivors. Consider that someone who was in the military in October 1942 would be at least 88 today. I think this group held on longer than most.

Amen! But, still sad that the greatest generation is quickly heading into history.

Was Frank Sobeleski There? I went to his home last summer and spent time with him at his cabin on Rainy lake,,

I dont think he attends those reunions much,,but I think he is in better shape than most of the Easy Co. guys,,,

Thanks to Jake Powers, I was invited to attend the final reunion of the Easy Company, 506th PIR veterans able to make it to Overland Park, KS, these last three days.

I'm happy for you Jack.

Jake has been instrumental in helping everyone, enjoy the lives and history of these men. ;)

I think this group held on longer than most.

I think so, there are fewer each year.

Sad to see the end of an era.

RC

Was Frank Sobeleski There? I went to his home last summer and spent time with him at his cabin on Rainy lake,,

I dont think he attends those reunions much,,but I think he is in better shape than most of the Easy Co. guys,,,

No, he wasn't. Considering health issues, Paul Rogers attended, but spent most of his time in his room at the hotel due to feeling ill. He's a neighbor, so I'll check into him later to see how he's doing. Jack

Also in attendance were: Herb Suerth, Earl McClung and Bill Wingett along with several "Easy Kids" as the veteran's children call themselves.

Nice way to spend a week end.Im not to far from the KC area and didnt realize they were in the area.Was at our local Militarty show and had a great time but would have been a worth while drive to meet these soldiers.

Hi Jack,

What a great way to spend your week end ! you cannot get any better than that, if you ask me nice one ;) Lucky You

that sure was very nice of Jake.P to ask you along i only wish i lived State Side to be able to attend these type of Reunion's

and meet these Real Heros every now and then when organised by these great Historians like Jake for sure.

Regards

Tomás