Famous Ships - Post militaria related to Famous (and Infamous!) Ships

RustyCanteen

Yes they do!

Very nice! Is is the wartime book?

It's the wartime book. I have the California wartime cruise book too. They are way too pricey though so getting the other clipper bow BBs is slow going. To me they are the nicest looking of the BBs, in particular the last five California, Tennessee, Colorado, Maryland and West Virginia. Idaho, Mississippi and New Mexico aren't bad either. I have histories on all of them but only the two cruise books so far.

firefighter

USS Forrestal had a fire on her deck that killed 134 and injured 161 sailors and destroyed 21 aircraft.She was getting ready for a strike against North Vietnam.She was only on the line for a few days.

There was a young Lt that was also on board.He barely escaped his burning A-4 and was wounded by flying debris.He requested to be sent to another carrier.On his 23rd mission he was shot down and taken prisoner where he was tortured.Anybody know who he was?

USS-Forrestal-Fire.jpg

Very nice RD!

Part of a group or just a few finds? Besides the Arizona connection, the Nashville had a pretty distinguished career herself.

RC

Thanks RC

Had them for years.found them in a small group of non discript letters and envelopes all in an old suitcase.Saw the thread and wanted to add them.

Kinda like the Cuban Aero National stamp too.Never paid attention to it til today.

RustyCanteen

Thanks RC

Had them for years.found them in a small group of non discript letters and envelopes all in an old suitcase.Saw the thread and wanted to add them.

Kinda like the Cuban Aero National stamp too.Never paid attention to it til today.

Hi RD,

Now that you pointed it out, it is neat that the stamp probably reflects a stop on the shakedown cruise.

Thanks for posting it!

RC

RustyCanteen

Small piece (about 3" x 4") of teak decking from the U.S.S. Oklahoma.

Wood (not sure what kind) from the U.S.S. Constitution

Very nice!

I have never seen wood from the "Okie", and that wood from the Constitution has seen some history no doubt!

Thanks for sharing,

RC

Garandomatic

If that is the original wood from Old Ironsides, it is Live Oak. Freaking durable stuff. I have read that 15% of it is still original, and when they rebuilt it the last time, they used Live Oak that fell during a hurricane. When testing possible substitutes, as it is rare and hard to procure, they aged several woods in an accelerated manner that can simulate decades of exposure. Douglas fir lasted a couple of days in the device, Live Oak was still good to go after weeks, which simulated a serious amount of time. National Geographic covered it very well. I'd like to have a piece of wood from the Constitution, all I have is a clinch ring from her.

Very nice!

I have never seen wood from the "Okie", and that wood from the Constitution has seen some history no doubt!

Thanks for sharing,

RC

Thanks Rusty, the Oklahoma wood is one of my favorite pieces (and I'm not even into Navy stuff). It has woman's name written on the back of it. Through a little research I found that she was born in NJ in 1917, but I haven't been able to figure out her connection to the Oklahoma or the Navy.

If that is the original wood from Old Ironsides, it is Live Oak. Freaking durable stuff. I have read that 15% of it is still original, and when they rebuilt it the last time, they used Live Oak that fell during a hurricane. When testing possible substitutes, as it is rare and hard to procure, they aged several woods in an accelerated manner that can simulate decades of exposure. Douglas fir lasted a couple of days in the device, Live Oak was still good to go after weeks, which simulated a serious amount of time. National Geographic covered it very well. I'd like to have a piece of wood from the Constitution, all I have is a clinch ring from her.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I've also read that only 15% of the ship is original from when she was launched. So who knows if that wood is from 1797 or the overhaul in the twenties.

• 1 month later...

USS Sea Wolf SS-197

Lost with all hands.

On eternal patrol

sublosses_albacore2.jpg

U.S.S. Seawolf (SS-197)

Asa, Marion L.
Astarita, John M.
Balch, Lloyd R.
Ballard, Francis A.
Bannister, Jack
Bargenquast, Arnold F.
Beck, William B.
Bekke, Gerald E.
Bennett, Robert J.
Bergevin, Patrick K.
Bolon, Dallas V.
Bontier, Albert M.
Call, James B.
Carithers, James P.
Carnegie, Robert J.
Cash, Wilfred L.
Chapman, Edward
Coon, Norman D.
Copas, Chester M.
Cotton, Wayne H.
Cox, Robert L.
Cunnally, James P.
Doane, Paul
Devitt, Robert F.
Ewing, John L.
Fixler, Robert N.
Flynn, Kenneth J.
Franco, Peter
George, Lloyd
Grimes, James
Hadley, William T.
Harris, John G.
Howard, Alfred H.
Huff, Roy E.
Johnson, James E.
Jurinic, Michael
Kenney, Jack E.
Krempa, Charles
Kuehn, Alfred E.
Lawson, Chester G.
Leeman, Hibbard, Jr.
Likert, Gilbert R.
Lynch, Carl D.
Malone, Dallas L.
Marston, George F.
Maus, Charles R.
McCoy, Walter G.
Michael, Forrest S.
Miller, R.V.D.
Miller, Richard L.
Miller, Robert T.
Mills, Lannie R., Jr.
Mitchell, Harold E. LTJG
Morris, Edward L.
Morris, Joseph A.
Nazay, George G.
Naze, Donald J.
Needham, George M.
Nivison, Clinton L.
O'Brien, Edmond F., Jr.
Page, Albert F.
Page, Leonard A.
Peterson, Elmer N.
Politylo, Wasil
Reiland, William F., Jr.
Rhoads, Guy B.
Riggle, Mahlon R.
Rocaya, Saturino
Rogers, Benjamin
Sadler, John C.
Saint, James W.
Steinecker, Gerald A.
Strausser, Clarence E.
Szendrey, Edward J.
Underhill, William H.
Vanandel, John
Wall, Vernon P.
Warren, Thomas W.
Wiegenstein, Michael P.
Wyatt, David B.
Young, Robert P.
Zuel, Edward A.

US Army Passengers:

Kopp, H.S.
Miller, G.F.
Wise, B.L.
Peralta, G.E.
Almero, E.A.
Ibea, A.I.
Hammill, C.H.
Framisco, A.C.
Bueno, G.B.
Pugose, E.L.
Rodriquez, I.R.
Herbig, R.P.
Fria, A.B.
Cendonia, O.C.
Ruiz, R.R.
Ramos, O.B.
Rimando, J.F.

sublosses_seawolf4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Very nice,

As you know though many others may not, ATLANTA (CL-51 though sometimes known as CLAA-51) had a very short naval career. Commissioned on Christmas eve 1941, she was severely damaged in the night action at Savo Island and sunk off of Guadalcanal on November 13th, 1942.

Salvage Sailor

Which reminded me that I have a large run of the BUCCANEER, wartime shipboard newspaper of the Carrier USS ESSEX (CV-9).

Here's the first edition

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg