SILVER FISH - May cause me to sell all my 1912 - 55 Uniforms - HELP

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

I have 35 + early USMC uniforms. I'm trying to save them for my 2 children as well as enjoying preserving history by researching and keeping documentation with each one. I have them on hangers in plastic suit storage bags with moth balls, but silverfish have gotten in some of them. I was told moth balls repel moths but not silverfish, and I should put cedar wood blocks in bags for the silverfish. Another man said spray bottom of storage bag with Raid ant/roach killer and place newspaper over it so jacket/pants do not touch it. PLEASE - how have you protected these 100 year old wool treasures? Richard

Silverfish are notoriously difficult to deal with, I think that there are few options, one of which is to consult a professional pestcontrol company.

One problem is caused by suit bags, which are really intended to keep lint/dust/dirt off of clothing; of course I haven't found anything better either. They don't seal well and by their nature promote conditions attractive to insects that like to nibble on cloth; still, cool and dry enviroments with plenty of wool.

Perhaps someone has other ideas and will share them,

RC

Silverfish are very attracted to the glue used to glue cardboard boxes together, so moving any boxes away from your wool collection will help. As RC said, I would consider paying a professional exterminator to come in and give you a quote and tell you what they think would work best. It has been the best investment for me. Whenever I start seeing bugs, just call the guy, he comes out and does whatever is needed.

A couple of other tips I picked up from the Forum:

1) put a small fan in the closet where you store the uniforms.

2) remove them from these bags which promote what the bugs are looking for.

3) take the uniforms out a couple times a year to air out in the sun for an hour or 2. It's a pain to do, but good preventive "medicine."

Good luck with this mess!

Steve

From long experience I would reinforce the urgency of professional exterminator services at the earliest possible time.

Also, what I can offer as to storage facilities and chemicals (e.g. moth balls etc.) is that museum costume collections do the following:

1. Nothing is stored in any containers of any kind which prevent free circulation of air, ever

2. Moth balls etcetera are not used, period. At most, a desiccant capsule or device is sometimes added as an extra safeguard.

Glad you caught the infestation early, if you did. But, once established, silver fish tend to reappear at intervals from then on unless dealt with thoroughly and aggressively (like most other destructive critters).

suwanneetrader

I hate to invite an unknown person into a room with my collection while uniforms may not turn the average thief on, guns will. Richard

Well the good news is silver fish dont eat uniforms,,they like old books, wallpaper, boxes etc,,but yeah a guy doesnt want them around period

there lots of info on the web but nothing definitive,,,call the professionals,,,maybe put your items in another room or place dark bags over them while he's there,,,

Richard,

I always seal ANY item newly introduced to the collection in a plastic shopping bag and straight into the freezer for a few days, Kills eggs, larvae etc. Cedar is a great natural deterrent that is totally harmless to your prized posessions (Family and collection) ;) .

Here in AUS we have a company called ALBOX who manufacture and supply Archival quality storage/preservation items for archives, museums and collectors. It is all acid free material and I have been using it for years. There must be something similar available in the States ?

http://www.albox.com.au/

Cheers

Sean

Further to my last,

I have a few mates who have converted unservicable refrigerators into storage, sounds 'Kookie' I know but it works. Air tight and impregnable. It saved Indie's life in the '50's if you recall :lol:

Your other option is Cedar as mentioned earlier. Wardrobes or chests are great but you must ensure that the inside of the stroge unit is left in its natural state, ie no varnish,sealers etc.

Cheers

Sean

Cedar is fine but remember cedar wood has "oil" for lack of a better term for it,,,I wouldnt store a uniform or anything

actualy touching the cedar,,,

I have seen an occasional silver fish in the bathroom in an addition to the house, this year I saw none. We had a drought, maybe they need moisture.

Cedar is fine but remember cedar wood has "oil" for lack of a better term for it,,,I wouldnt store a uniform or anything

actualy touching the cedar,,,

From what I understand cedar oil, particualrly that extracted for use as a natural insect repellant comes from the bark.

suwanneetrader

Thankyou, I'm going to try the cedar, I wonder if a block of the wood in each suit bag or shavings would be best? Also one member said they eat glue on envelopes and old paper (like books) not uniforms. I thought the 2 or 3 small group of holes were made by the silverfish as they are the only insect I've seen in my hobbyroom (not in uniforms but in some 50 - 100 year old books and documents). What do you think? Richard

Well the good news is silver fish dont eat uniforms,,they like old books, wallpaper, boxes etc,,but yeah a guy doesnt want them around period

there lots of info on the web but nothing definitive,,,call the professionals,,,maybe put your items in another room or place dark bags over them while he's there,,,

They don't eat the uniforms, but they do "mine" for the sizing that is left over in the material, leaving lines of cut down material.

Cedar does very very little to repell insects. It really doesn't.

Silverfish pretty much need two things- a food source and humidity. remove all paper, carboard etc abnd vaccum as much as possible. http://www.museumpests.net/pdfholder/42image.pdf

I sometimes cut up yellow no pest strips into small chunks and put them in sealed containers. The chemical in it is a neuro tioxin to all insects. They keep debating if the stuff hurts people and pets, but all they have so far is some 'possible' links to cancer - (bladder I think). The main problems with it is that it is heavier than air, so it sinks to the ground and slowly fumigates the area continuously. If in a basement, and someone sleeps down there it may bne a problem. If if is a basement collector room, and you only visit it periodically and for short amounts of time there's probably no danger.

There is a problme with fressing everything, as most average freezers do not go down as low as they need to. Pluse NEVER freeze anything damp (it breaks the fibers) and put it in a plastic bag, and do not remove until it has warmed up, as otherwise water will condense on the cold material.

I went to an old ladies house to interview her about her husband and she kept spearmint gum in all her cabinet drawers. I asked her why and she said it kept silverfish away. Anyone ever hear of that trick? Do roaches eat it?

Paul

suwanneetrader

I went to an old ladies house to interview her about her husband and she kept spearmint gum in all her cabinet drawers. I asked her why and she said it kept silverfish away. Anyone ever hear of that trick? Do roaches eat it?

Paul

Yes some older people used different kinds of mint as well as cloves. I do not know if it worked. Richard

guys--- a real problem for sure. silverfish, moths and what ever crawls and creeps will and is going to find its way to your collectibles. its an on going war to save history and over time we loose. these pests can get through the smallest of openings and to use chemicals in a house is no good. i too do my best to keep what i have from any damage but, only so much can be done. the room my stuff is in is heated in the winter and ac'ed in the summer. many of my uniforms are in plastic sealed bags and paper--- letters, newspapers and other paper items in foot lockers. i have a couple of jackets that are mothed and in not to cared for shape which i dont dare take to the cleaners so they are in plastic bags. when you have a jacket that is origonal you do not want to remove the ribbons. my advive------ keep your room clean. inspect your items from time to time. keep the temp "livable" year round. its a pain but, what these little vermin wont do time will.

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

Silverfish will eat pretty much anything, to include cotton thread, linen and silk fabric. They don't limit themselves to book bindings and glue. And they can go for a LONG time without eating so when they make their way into your house after a "diet", they will look for their next meal from anything available, including synthetics. They aren't picky.

I live in a fairly damp environment but have been relatively lucky. On the flip side, a friend in West Texas (pretty darn arid environment) ended up with a silverfish (aka carpetsharks) infestation due to unknown sources. They're as common as spiders and roaches so no one is safe despite their geography.

There are several different pesticides on the market designed specifically for silverfish. But, as a repellant, cloves seem to work well.

best,

Peter

suwanneetrader

Danny: In my younger years the guy's at the Hunting Camp always had alot of fun telling me big tales as I would usually believe the ones that the teller seemed so serious. So old gullible me :D asks "are you serious" ? Richard

• 8 years later...
On 11/2/2012 at 10:04 PM, Paul70 said:

Paul

Natural deterrent for bugs and mice 

• 3 weeks later...
Airborne-Hunter

Silverfish are supposed to be attracted to moisture. In my experience, they can survive pretty dry environments. They are extremely difficult to kill. Oddly enough, the fastest kill for silverfish I have seen is "Up & Up" Target Brand Purple Multi Surface Cleaner. Works faster than raid. 

Silverfish will eat anything. I have personally seen then between the embroidery and the base material on patches moving around. They eat/destroy/manipulate anything - patches, cotton, wool, paper, books, wood. I have seen them under the bark and in cut tree rounds. Real bad. I have never had luck with cedar ball/bricks/closets. I don't think it works. Never tried the mint gum. 

Freezing works, but the caveat is time. 24-48 hours will NOT do it. I have personally put a uniform into a freezer at +20F for 7 days and watched a silver fish crawl out after. That was a slow moving zombie like silverfish, but it certainly was not dead. Since this experience, that freezer went to freezer heaven and I now freeze at -10F for 14+ days. Which really isn't enough. I can go to sub 20, but the lady of the house doesn't like it because if you touch anything you get freezer burn to your fingers right away. The link below shows is an excellent read. You absolutely need to go sub zero F and for a month. I have contemplated getting a dedicated chest freezer. I like sub 20. 

There is a major issue with freezing. When it comes out moisture will condense onto the object (and freeze that moisture before thawing and dripping) so it must be bagged before going into the freezer and then left bagged when pulled out of the freezer until reaching ambient temperature. That said, watching a german helmet go from -20F to 90F is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. The layer of frost and then ice was incredible. And before anyone asks - yes there were silverfish eating the leather liner. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/canadian-conservation-institute-notes/controlling-insects-low-temperature.html