What kind of plane is this?

goral432

I was wondering what kind of prop plane this was, and approx. the vintage of this photo? I see it has propellers, and I see the prop fighter in the background, so is this WW 2? Or later? Any other info you can give me would be appreciated.

post-92326-0-44400000-1351436715.jpg

That one in the background looks like it could be a Douglas A-1 Skyraider, which was used into the Vietnam War.

%2814A%29%20A1E%20Skyraider%202%20Ray%2022C.jpg

The bird in the background is a Grumman F8F Bearcat...

EDIT: Based on the nose marking, it looks like your C-119 was probably from the 314th TCW, although I'm not sure which squadron would have used red as its color. I believe the 61st used green, so that's out.

Look HERE for some more photos of 314th Boxcars.

Fade to Black...

The single engine plane in the background might also be an F8F Bearcat; note the landing gear doors versus the Skyraider's arrangement. Interestingly, the French did use F8F's in Vietnam before their withdrawal. Unfortunately, the insignia is unclear on the plane in the background.

Also, the fourth and fifth figures from the left, in front of the transport. The fourth is possibly Asian, and the large shirt wings and overseas type cap on the fifth figure has me wondering if he's possibly French, not American. I'm just not up enough on USAF uniforms of this period to know for sure if the setup on the fifth figure is correct for an American.

That's a very nice picture; good luck on pinning it down.

- Robbie

Edit feature on this forum sux...

EDIT 2: Is this maybe a USAF bird that has been or is in the process of being transferred to the French? I see that Alarmadillo and I have similar thoughts here... the Bearcat was indeed used by the French in SEA, those guys do not look like USAF, and I've come across a French C-119 with 61st TCS markings. (albeit a profile)

EDIT 3: Found this image HERE...

24895_lcon.jpg

EDIT 4: Found THIS forum thread which I cannot read but something tells me it may shed some light here...

Fade to Black...

Edit feature on this forum sux...

EDIT 2: Is this maybe a USAF bird that has been or is in the process of being transferred to the French? I see that Alarmadillo and I have similar thoughts here... the Bearcat was indeed used by the French in SEA, those guys do not look like USAF, and I've come across a French C-119 with 61st TCS markings. (albeit a profile)

EDIT 3: Found this image HERE...

24895_lcon.jpg

EDIT 4: Found THIS forum thread which I cannot read but something tells me it may shed some light here...

Fade to Black...

Blackwolf3945 - Have you ever been to the Curtiss-Wright Museum, in Hammondsport, NY? I have been there several times. I highly recommend it - not only to those interested in C-W, but those interested in aviation in general.

314th C-119s were transferred directly from USAF service in Wespac to the French, in Viet Nam, and used at Dien Bien Phu, flown by American civilian crews (CIA/CAT contractors).

The posted pic may show the delivery of one of them.

I have seen photos of one such aircraft with French roundels, but the nickname "GREEN HORNETS" still on the tailboom.

SKYLINE DRIVE

The Bearcat is french, you can barely recognize the french "Cocarde" underneath the wing of the Bearcat.

So I guess the consensus is that this was a plane given by the USA to the French to fight the commies in Viet Nam. Thanks for the info, guys! I will post a print I have of the final battle the French fought - and lost.

So I guess the consensus is that this was a plane given by the USA to the French to fight the commies in Viet Nam. Thanks for the info, guys! I will post a print I have of the final battle the French fought - and lost.

Here is my copy of a print by the infamous James Earl Ray: "The Legion in the battle for Dien Beinphu, Vietnam - 1954" I guess this event occured just after my photo above was taken.

post-92326-0-97488700-1351518163.jpg

You can read a Google translation here http://tinyurl.com/c119Vietnam

Geez, I shoulda just done that myself... d'Oh!

Blackwolf3945 - Have you ever been to the Curtiss-Wright Museum, in Hammondsport, NY? I have been there several times. I highly recommend it - not only to those interested in C-W, but those interested in aviation in general.

I've been there once, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I would like to go again to get some photos of the C-46 and also to see the pile of P-40 parts they acquired last year.

Fade to Black...