Looking for nose art of "Lady in the Dark" B-24J 42-50570

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

I am trying to find a photo of the nose art on "Lady in the Dark" B-24 42-50570 that flew with the 739th BS of the 454th Bomb Group and was lost 9/13/44 over Slovakia. The plane was piloted by Capt Allen L. Unger. I would appreciate any help

Can I ask what's behind the interest? I spent a long time researching a 736th BS, 454th BG crew back in the 90s. Not seeing anything in the Group history or the Association book '454th memories" I can do some digging though. It's kind of quiet on the 454th forum here:

http://forum.armyairforces.com/454th-BG-f86.aspx

Might be worth posting a request for info though.

Stinger Gunner USMC

B24 bestweb.com misidentifies plane 42-50570 as "Two Pair" which may have been a previous name of the same aircraft? The aircraft I am looking for (I located a photo of her nose art on the internet over a year ago and can not for the life of me find it again) was one of at least 3 B-24's named "Lady in the Dark" the one in question, belonging to the 454th is of interest because I have the uniform of its Navigator, Charles B Edison. Edison and his crew bailed September 13, 1944 and he eneded up a Jewish/American POW at Stalag 3 (of Great Escape fame). I am trying to re-find the photo of her nose art to display with his uniform and to add it to the 1:48 model of the B-24 I am currently making to go with his uniform when I display it. Aircraft 50570 is listed as "Lady in the Dark" in the MACR and in an interview given by LT Emil Petr the PFF Navigator on board during that mission.

Johnny Signor

Try this one I don't know if this is her but there's one B&W photo and hope this this helps!

R.Lee Ermey's Sound Off Froum::Viewtopic-BomberNoseArt II

rleermey.org/viewtopic_print.php?t=7440&start=0

Johnny

Wally Foreman's book "B-24 Nose Art Directory" lists it as Lady in the Dark. He hadn't ever found a photo though. Wally knew his stuff.

Do you have a list of the entire crew? I've got a couple of old 454th Association directories from the 90s. Never know, but it might turn up a lead on an address for one of the crew.

Stinger Gunner USMC

CREW:

Capt. Allen L. Unger Pilot WIA, POW

2nd Lt. Harold S. Meyer Copilot POW

2nd Lt. John D. McCorkle Navigator POW

2nd Lt. Charles B. Edison Extra Navigator EVADED

2nd Lt. Manley J. Fliger Bombardier EVADED

S/Sgt. Fred W. Oswald Waist gunner POW

T/Sgt. Charles C. Stewart Engineer EVADED

2nd Lt. Emil A. Petr PFF Navigator POW

T/Sgt. Dale A. Rowen Radio operator WIA, POW

Sgt. John Bianchin Waist gunner POW

S/Sgt. Russell Erwin Tail gunner POW

CREW:

Capt. Allen L. Unger Pilot WIA, POW

2nd Lt. Harold S. Meyer Copilot POW

2nd Lt. John D. McCorkle Navigator POW

2nd Lt. Charles B. Edison Extra Navigator EVADED

2nd Lt. Manley J. Fliger Bombardier EVADED

S/Sgt. Fred W. Oswald Waist gunner POW

T/Sgt. Charles C. Stewart Engineer EVADED

2nd Lt. Emil A. Petr PFF Navigator POW

T/Sgt. Dale A. Rowen Radio operator WIA, POW

Sgt. John Bianchin Waist gunner POW

S/Sgt. Russell Erwin Tail gunner POW

Two of them show up as members of the 454th BG Association in the mid 90s. Not sure if it will help much, but I'll message you the addresses and info. It's a start anyway. Could be family still out there.

• 2 years later...

38Driver,

I see you live in Rosemount Minnesota or did back in Nov 2012. My last name is Fliger, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, and Manley Fliger is my uncle and lives in Spokane Washington. He is in his 90's and in a nursing home; but I remember the stories he and grandma told of the shoot down well.