Facial Hair in the 20 and 21st Century

patches

Colonel Frank O'Driscoll “Monk” Hunter

To Paraphrase one the BBC broadcasts to the French on the morning of June 6th.

Frank Has a Long Moustache 143902811_emoticonlaugh.png.b25127ac81110461a1c66b7df723bdff.png

arm.jpg

pararaftanr2

And the winner is..................the Navy pilot in this official Bu. Aero. photo........who wouldn't shave 'till he went to sea.

Beardo.jpg

Beardo1.jpg

4 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

And the winner is..................the Navy pilot in this official Bu. Aero. photo........who wouldn't shave 'till he went to sea.

Beardo.jpg

Beardo1.jpg

emoticon laugh.png

On 8/29/2017 at 12:26 PM, usaaf93 said:

eb3b7410.jpg

Isnt there a thread on the forum pertaining to this GI and all the guns he was collecting through the war. There is a photo of him somewhere draped with MP40s

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Isnt there a thread on the forum pertaining to this GI and all the guns he was collecting through the war. There is a photo of him somewhere draped with MP40s

I think that is a different GI.

cdpture.PNG

4 minutes ago, patches said:

cdpture.PNG

Great Patches!👍

Thanks! Thats the photo i am talking about.

It is the same GI, there was a thread or an article about him somewhere. May have been this forum but could have been somewhere else. When i find it i will post the info.

Thanks again for posting that pic.

34 minutes ago, patches said:

cdpture.PNG

Well, i stand corrected!

The above photo is Pfc  Robert E Leigh of B Co. 329th Inf Regt 83 Inf Div.

His haul consist of:

1 MP 38

2 MP40S

1 MG34

1 MG42

along with his own M1 rifle!

• 2 weeks later...
DoubleEnvelopment

A couple of pics from a grouping I have. Every single sailor in the group photo has a beard. They all survived the Battle off Samar, in the loan surviving Fletcher-class that participated in the battle, the USS Heermann (DD-532). The 2nd is a before and after photos of the sailor group is fromimg20210401_04085893.jpg.9d11f247caeb84a44034c753be169d95.jpg

img04012021_001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, pararaftanr2 said:

Beardo.jpg

Beardo1.jpg

Interesting unit STAG 1 (Special Task Air Group)

https://pacificwrecks.com/units/usn/stag-1/index.html#:~:text=During the summer of 1943%2C Special Task Air,control each of the Interstate TDR-1 Assault Drone.

I have a grouping from a Pharmacist’s Mate who was stationed at Naval Base Hospital #10 in Sydney, Australia. He took this photo of this submariner patient with a patrol beard. 

E65A43DC-307F-4817-9BCA-0D0745B9B98E.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Another Vietnam Era GI with a fine stash. Don't have a name but he apparently was in the Air Force before going into the Army as he has a Air Force Aircrewman Badge, a EIB too we see, got without a doubt after he was in the Army for awhile.

b6jk8b.jpg

• 7 months later...

WO Paul Madsen with the stash, he was in the Air Cavarly Troop 11th Armored Cavalry.

2104384969_W.O.PaulMadsen.jpg.094c54b424f6efb995e3793e8575e6f9.jpg

His Story 

I was an enlisted man (NCO) from 1962 thru 1968, then I went to Warrant Officer school / helicopter training. Looks like Dec. 68 to Jun 69, in republic of VietNam. originally assigned to 1st Cav. Upon arrival in VietNam, I was given new orders to report to 11th Cav. Upon arrival to 11th Armored Cav. I was assigned to llth Air Cav. Troop. Commanded by LtCol James Bradin (still living). I was then assigned to a Cobra called "The Wonderer". Callsign Thunderhorse 669. I became an aircraft commander after a couple weeks as front seat pilot. Worked hunter / killer teams, flying with loaches, until May 69 when I was assigned as C&C (Command & Control ) pilot for Col Bradin in a C model huey. On June 18, 1969, I was flying C&C looking for North Vietnamese who had just destroyed an artillery battery and killed all the Americans. We found them in the Michelin rubber plantation. We were shot down by a Vietnamese regiment. I had both legs shot in half. Sent to M.A.S.H. hospital, then to Japan, then to Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. Spend almost 3 yrs in the hospital for body repairs. Came out with both legs attached but damaged.

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, patches said:

Here you go just about a Walrus Moustache. 3rd Division, Sicily I think. His patch is quite detached we see.

12790810.jpg

Appears to be an Italian woven 3rd ID patch too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 2:00 PM, iron bender said:

Appears to be an Italian woven 3rd ID patch too!

Well if it's on Sicily, wouldn't be an Italian made one, America and Italy being at war and all.

No way that's a US made patch. I'm sticking by Italian mfg. Is this pic positively ID'd as Sicily? Trying to solidly defend my stance here. Could that be a US made patch? I'm thinking the reverse colors in the Italy made patches.