Facial Hair in the 20 and 21st Century

patches

post-34986-0-10243800-1351306939.jpg

Yes this one deserves it's own topic, just look at the Goatee on this WWII GI, a Cavalryman from the 83rd Infantry Division's 83rd Reconaissnce Troop(Mecz) one Tech Sgt Walter Korszniak. He appears to be photographed while still on active duty, I see no Ruptured Duck.

He must have had a shaving profile. B)

Honestly, I've seen it before where a Soldier will only shave part of his beard yet he had a shaving profile. :blink:

Perhaps, he was medicaly exempted from shaving as you chap suggest, but for some reason with T/Sgt Korszniak I feel this is deliberate.

You Know for some reason when I see Korszniak's thin goatee I'm reminded of this character from Star Trek original series.

Lazurus :lol:

post-34986-0-48569900-1351310680.jpg

Lets make this a Topic where we can post any and all non standard, going against the times BEARDS on U.S. Serviceman in WWII, in formal portraits like Korszniak's, and informal photographs, or candid shots, I think this will be a fun topic to look for these kind photos for.

By Hollwood standards.....this is TERRIBLE make-up!!

I took a Make-up class in college taught by (AAW) William Tuttle....it was a butt buster!! :blink:

1. Flight surgeon Major William J. Kennard, Clark Airfield, 1941.

2. Lt. Col. Lester J. Maitland, commander of Clark Airfield, 1941.

post-75-0-39537400-1351326373.jpg

post-75-0-14457800-1351326391.jpg

The last one looks like a Bronze Star presentation ceremony, minus the medal...just the ribbon. I can just imagine the conversation..."congratulations son...but that beard..."

These are incredible photos, that you posted, so we see Korzniak did sport this while on active service, fastinating, he looks so damned contemporary, kinda like a bohemian grunge type :lol: I wonder how he was allowed to wear this goatee? it would seem that this was allowed to a certain extent.

Fabulous photos Gregory. Thumbs Up.

Anymore that can be found by other members please do post. remember they must be purposely grown beards and goatees, and not serviceman with unshaved beards because of combat, Submariners okay as long as they are not onboard boats, and are back in Dress White/Blues in port.

His daughter says she doesn't know how he got away with the goatee but it did had a lot of meaning to him as she once stated he still kept the remnants of it after the war!!!

post-34986-0-19575200-1351477885.gif

Here's one a GI of the 35th Division at Orleans France August 1944, here we a purposly grown mustashe and goatee, he's the guy with the civilian hat on.

I wish we hadn't started this, now every WWII Re-enactor is going to show up with a beard and moustachioed. Amazing photos I guess if your first Sergeant was okay with it...

Tom Bowers

Of course there was a time in the US Army when almost everyone wore a beard...it would be interesting to see the WWII era regs. They may have been still allowed in the regs, but infrequently worn. Unless you were a college professor or hobo, beards were way out of fashion in the 1940s. In the Navy, were were allowed to wear beards up in to the early 80s believe it or not....

• 4 months later...

Two more examples, again they are Air Corps, the one younger man is one Vincent J "Budd" Donahue of the Ferrying Command, a Transport pilot, he retired as Full Colonel I guess in the early to middish 1970s.

post-34986-0-56829500-1362376025.jpg

This second one we see Donahue possing with some brother officers, the slightly portly officer on the right we see is also sporting the old mustache and goatee.

post-34986-0-49291200-1362376182.jpg

I think the most "luxuriant" growths were to be found on sub-mariners on their return from lengthy sea patrols, during which the requirements for a daily shave was dropped, for obvious reasons. I think it was almost considered a kind of "badge of honor".

post-8022-0-00097000-1362382264.jpg

Great pictures!

The most we were allowed to go was a few weeks without shaving during the surge in Iraq. My company was living in and clearing villages, so it was an out of sight out of mind sort of situation.

I read somewhere that facial hair was generally considered a no-no for combat troops in WW2 because its presence prevented a good air-tight seal if a gas mask had to be worn. Same applied to aviators' oxygen masks.

My dad, Brittany France, Dec 1944.

post-203-0-82547500-1362395959.jpg

Woa ho, nice one BEAST, you were holding out on us :lol: Your Father, what unit was he in, we just see a smidgen of his shoulder patch