Musette Bags M1921 - M1936

craig_pickrall

General Apathy

post-344-1237764266.jpg

Hi Forum Members, Craig just mentioned that he thought that I had added a photograph showing the tent pole in the musette. Sorry I cannot take the credit for that one it was added by another forum member in another separate discussion on musette bags. Perhaps Craig could add a link to the other discussion for members to see.

I have however added the photograph to this post that I believe Craig was talking about. As can be seen in the photograph the tent pole is just about in the right position under the top of the flap. The centre section of the three piece folding pole is located in the loop and the top and bottom section are then folded around the outside of the loop, this prevents the poles from sliding out sideways. Yes there might be sideways movement but it will not fall out.

As I stated in the other discussion if you look at the three guy's in the photograph they are all dressed identically, with everything in the same position, helmet on the pack, raincoat folded under the top flap, they are wearing early style gas masks under the left arm, everything looks pretty regulation dress.

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

Ken, I can add the link if you can tell me where the thread is located.

General Apathy

OOOOps Craig, I was hoping that you would remember better than I could :unsure:think.gif

I will try and find it and add if I do. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

Ken, I am older than you so I did good just to remember the photo existed. You see proof that I couldn't remember who posted it so why would you possibly think I knew where it was located. You are the youngster here so use those brain cells before they vaporize like mine.

General Apathy
Ken, I am older than you so I did good just to remember the photo existed. You see proof that I couldn't remember who posted it so why would you possibly think I knew where it was located. You are the youngster here so use those brain cells before they vaporize like mine.

Hi Craig, I value all that you have said above and the age thing and the memory vaporization, I think you need to employ someone to be curator of your collection before your memory fades :blink: , please accept this as an official application. :lol:

Cheers ( Lewis ) thumbsup.gif

General Apathy

Hi Craig, I have spent over an hour in total looking for that post and thread using all sorts of combinations in the ' search' section, sorry to say it doesn't bring it up. crying.gif

We both know it's on the forum somewhere, but the search certainly doesn't help produce it. :blink:

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

Ken, do you remember the name of the poster? If he doesn't have to many posts under his name then we might track it that way.

You are more than welcome to be curator but it means you relocating here at your expense rather than me sending all of this musty, rusty old junk there at my expense. Maybe with you here I can get some of the many projects finished.

General Apathy

Hi Craig, well I took your advice and used the brain cells and relocated the post on musettes. :rolleyes:

The post was started by robinb regarding a 1918 musette thumbsup.gif

The credit goes to QED4 for adding the photo. thumbsup.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...Apathy&st=0

Now about that curator job you keep dangling in front of me. pinch.gif:lol:think.gif;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall
Hi Craig, well I took your advice and used the brain cells and relocated the post on musettes. :rolleyes:

The post was started by robinb regarding a 1918 musette thumbsup.gif

The credit goes to QED4 for adding the photo. thumbsup.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...Apathy&st=0

Now about that curator job you keep dangling in front of me. pinch.gif:lol:think.gif;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Good job Ken! Thanks for the 2nd effort.

I accepted your offer for curator. The terms were outlined in post # 60.

craig_pickrall
I found this drawing for the tent/M1936 instructions. Note the tent poles are rolled in the tent.

Not discounting the current discussion of them in the "secret" flap..

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/m1936_roll.htm

44, that is a good link. Thanks for posting.

• 9 months later...
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what the markings on these musette bags mean?

The first one belonged to Lt Woodworth but what "for shipment 6814 CV" means?

I received a Musette that was 'shipped back' from the US. I found out that it accompanied the body of an airman.

You might want to start searching some of the US records web sites.

• 5 months later...

Here's one of the weirdest things I've ever found- a '38-dated Musette, with the typical array of colors seen on so much Jeffersonville Depot stuff...

post-3226-1276396889.jpg

The Suspenders are even weirder: dated '37 and fitted throughout with permanent slide buckles instead of the usual removable ladder buckles in the front straps.

post-3226-1276397180.jpg

Here's one of the weirdest things I've ever found- a '38-dated Musette, with the typical array of colors seen on so much Jeffersonville Depot stuff...

post-3226-1276396889.jpg

Flage' Guy, your Musette Bag is obviously a fake, EVERYONE knows O.D. 7 didnt exist in 1938.... :lol:

craig_pickrall

Jim that has to be one of the top 2 or 3 musette bag / suspender combos I have ever seen. Have you had that a long time or it a fairly recent find?

Sam: Dang it, ya blew my cover- I was gonna put it up on Epay with a $2,000.00 reserve :w00t: :wacko:

Craig: My thanks- that's quite a compliment! :blink: Now, if I could only find a Carrying Strap with a late '30s date (the one I have on it now is a '40).

If I recall correctly, I pulled both the Suspenders and Bag out of Manion's a good number of years ago from 2 different auctions; this was back in the old mail catalogue days. I consider them the top dogs of the Army Musette pile, as I don't think I've ever seen another set of early Suspenders like these ones.

Sam: Dang it, ya blew my cover- I was gonna put it up on Epay with a $2,000.00 reserve :w00t: :wacko:

Craig: My thanks- that's quite a compliment! :blink: Now, if I could only find a Carrying Strap with a late '30s date (the one I have on it now is a '40).

If I recall correctly, I pulled both the Suspenders and Bag out of Manion's a good number of years ago from 2 different auctions; this was back in the old mail catalogue days. I consider them the top dogs of the Army Musette pile, as I don't think I've ever seen another set of early Suspenders like these ones.

:lol2: Since it's a fake, I'll buy it from you, ya know, so you can't trick any unknowing field gear enthusiasts...

• 2 months later...
I've heard that the loop was for tent poles but never thought it looked big enough to slide 3 of the through? :think:

I just tested your theory and it worked!

Yes the loop works with tent poles but that is not why it is on the pack.

Have we figured out why its there then??? :think:

and just a quick recap, The second pattern M36 bags with the Etool tab, when was it made and when did it first come into use?

craig_pickrall

There have been many guesses but so far no one has come up with a proven answer for the loop.

The M36 bags with equipment attachment have been made in 1944 and 1945. I have never seen another date.

There have been many guesses but so far no one has come up with a proven answer for the loop.

The M36 bags with equipment attachment have been made in 1944 and 1945. I have never seen another date.

Ok so would they be proper for a September 1944 southern france impression? And i know this is off topic but whats the difference between M1944 and M1945 suspenders?

• 1 month later...
labelkills254

I just received a musette bag made by Bradford & Co, INC. Dated 1942. However upon looking over the different manufacturers earlier in this thread it doesn't show up. Also this bag is made up of a lighter material not canvas like the other examples in my collection. Can anyone shed some light onto this for me? I am confused.