Musette Bags M1921 - M1936

craig_pickrall

labelkills254

I answered my own question, apparently earlier mussettes were made of a lighter demin type material which explains the difference between the examples in my collection. Also Bradford is a known manufacturer to add it to the list.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone actually got a picture in WW2 of one of these M1936 late style musettes being used or were they a strictly Post WW2/Korea item?

2ad82recon-

I just came across this old thread doing parallel research-

I have an original late '43 photograph of my grandfather (USMC) on excercise in CA. wearing an m1936 musette with a t-handle shovel hanging on the flap, presumably from an equipment tab. I also have (which I have misplaced at the moment) a photograph of my uncle in the mid 50's playing with what he says was the same pack. In the 50's photo it is clearly the army pattern (shoulder straps with hooks for the d-rings) appears to be OD #7, is marked US on the flap, and has the equipment tab. Unfortunately, the actual bag is MIA......

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

When packing a Musette pack is ther a certain way things were stored in the pack,or did it very from soldier to soldier,or were there any regulations? Thanks Jay

• 6 months later...
craig_pickrall
Did they not make m1936 suspenders in 1941 to go with the 1941 musette bags?

There were probably orders for suspenders in 1941 but that would have been to fill a supply gap not because they were ordering musette bags. There were quantities of these items to be maintained and they would be ordered as needed.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Craig,

One of the first things I bought off ebay about 15 years ago was a M1921 musette bag--had never seen one before and the price was right. It even has the original owners name and 4 digit service number, indicating it was reissued for WW2. The questions I have is about the shoulder strap--looks like the one on your bag would be the correct style for this bag. It appears to be longer than the standard M36 strap [it would have to be, since the snap hook tabs are so much shorter on the M1921 bag], and it also appears to be made of a heavier material, similar to a WW1 gas mask bag strap. Also, does your strap have any dates or other markings on it? Thanks for your help.

Alan

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
Marchville1918

my impression is that airborne troops used the mussette pack system rather than the m1928 pack. does anyone know why? also I know that later mussette bags had eyelets for attachment of a tool, but no strap to fasten it down with. what was the thinking there?