• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

M1 Garand Hunting?

I am a huge deer hunter! I got a big buck with my bow this year but now its time for my gun. I want to bring my M1 Garand hunting but can't find any ammo. Has anyone on here takin a Garand hunting. If so where did you get your ammo? I heard new ammo can really hurt the gun.

Looking for anything U.S. D-Day related items and M1 helmets.

I don't think ammo will be the problem, those guns are really tough. The problem will be finding an enbloc clip that holds 5 or fewer rounds.

Ok...Thanks for the help.

If you are using a WW2 garand you need an adjustable gas plug in order to safely shoot modern 30.06 because of higher pressure in modern ammo. Either that or find some surplus ammo or some specifically made with the correct pressure.One maker makes ammo specifically for them and I think it

is federal but check some of the ammo dealers like cheaper than dirt or cabelas.

RIP Molly...Oct. 2000 - July 2013 For 13 years you have been my best friend and companion, giving love and asking only for love in return. May you rest now, free from your pain. I will miss you girl, and will keep you in my heart forever....the sweetest dog and best friend ever! I'll see you again one day.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

If you are using a WW2 garand you need an adjustable gas plug in order to safely shoot modern 30.06 because of higher pressure in modern ammo. Either that or find some surplus ammo or some specifically made with the correct pressure.One maker makes ammo specifically for them and I think it

is federal but check some of the ammo dealers like cheaper than dirt or cabelas.

Ok i'll check them out...hopefully I can get some ammo before season ends.

I don't think ammo will be the problem, those guns are really tough.

Wrong answer. What TLeo said.

Unless you are hand loading to that rifle's specs you need to be cautious with the pressures you put thru it. I agree they are tough rifles but you still have to be careful.

HHC 3/39th Inf. Bn., 9th ID 76-79
IAFF L-726 - retired.

Wrong answer. What TLeo said.

Unless you are hand loading to that rifle's specs you need to be cautious with the pressures you put thru it. I agree they are tough rifles but you still have to be careful.

I will be using a 5 round clip and a WWII garand but I don't think I will use newer ammo. I think I found some by Hornady made for deer with a low pressure.

There are a lot of opinions of what to use. If it were my M1 I would buy and adjustable gas plug and then use commercial soft point ammo to hunt deer. I would not feed commercial 30-06 through mine, but like I said some people will tell you its ok and others will not. Also lugging a M1 around on a hunt will wear you out. I took my M1a on a moose hunt in Alaska and it kicked my butt.

donation2013.gif

GOD Bless Texas And All That Serve Her

Use some of the CMP ammo or find some that is near the ball ammo it will work for deer. Reloads are not a recommendation I would suggest esp. if you don't do it yourself. I had a garand that exploded in my hands, a friend screwed up and put the wrong powder in casing . When I pulled the trigger off she went . I was stunned but recovered with a shattered stock, a twisted reciever and a jammed bolt . I had small bits of metal around my face and sharpnel in my stomach . I was lucky . That rifle now sits at a local gun shop as an example as to pay attenion to what you load and who does it. Find your self a 03 they are much better for deer hunting and you won't have to mess with the e bloc .

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

There are quite a few ammunition companies offering low recoil cartridges now

Standard ammo should be ok - but the higher velocity offerings may well end up costing you the price of an operating rod

Check what the M2 spec round was (bullet weight & velocity) then shop accordingly for a cartridge that matches or is below those parameters

Happy hunting!

I have read that powder type, in terms of burn speed, while related to pressure and all of that, is as critical as bullet weight in choosing Garand-safe ammunition. I made sure to use the proper military powder and proper weighted bullets when I reloaded a bunch for my Garand.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I have read that powder type, in terms of burn speed, while related to pressure and all of that, is as critical as bullet weight in choosing Garand-safe ammunition. I made sure to use the proper military powder and proper weighted bullets when I reloaded a bunch for my Garand.

The original military powder for the 30-06 was H4895

4895 is THE main powder I use, not just for my 30-06's but also for my 223 & my 6.8

Another thing to think about, no matter how careful you are, you are going to scratch, ding, and all around wear your rifle. You may not have yours for display, but an unsightly gash in the stock or a scratch on the park that was not put there in combat are things that detract from it's overall value. I used to carry one of my .45s to displays until I notice that my jeep seat was rubbing gashes in the plastic grip and rubbed the finish on the backstrap, so I now carry a airsoft gun. Once it's worn/damaged, you can't unring that bell.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

Another thing to think about, no matter how careful you are, you are going to scratch, ding, and all around wear your rifle. You may not have yours for display, but an unsightly gash in the stock or a scratch on the park that was not put there in combat are things that detract from it's overall value. I used to carry one of my .45s to displays until I notice that my jeep seat was rubbing gashes in the plastic grip and rubbed the finish on the backstrap, so I now carry a airsoft gun. Once it's worn/damaged, you can't unring that bell.

I havn't really thought of that much. I bought a repro check rest and I noticed it was rubbing on the stock so I took that off right away.

I tell ya young fella, I have to admire someone willing to carry an older piece on a hunt. One of my Savage 1899's that was manufactured in 1908 is going elk hunting with me this year. I've never personally reloaded for the Garand, I've only used surplus, but the data is out there. Also, it is usually illegal to use FMJ "ball" ammo for hunting, so be sure to look into that also. Good luck, and nice buck!

Always interested in purchasing items pertaining to the 505 Parachute Infantry Regiment in WWII (82nd Airborne Div.). Please send me a PM if you have something.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I tell ya young fella, I have to admire someone willing to carry an older piece on a hunt. One of my Savage 1899's that was manufactured in 1908 is going elk hunting with me this year. I've never personally reloaded for the Garand, I've only used surplus, but the data is out there. Also, it is usually illegal to use FMJ "ball" ammo for hunting, so be sure to look into that also. Good luck, and nice buck!

Thanks..I've been wanting to take it out since last year and final got some ammo to. Oh and good luck on your elk hunt with your gun this year.

.30-06 Springfield Hornady Match M1 Garand A-Max 168 Grain 20 Round Box 2700 fps..I think this is the stuff in looking for.

That is good stuff to use. It's soft point, so legal for hunting, and very accurate, and specifically made for the M1.

Nice buck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.