One Purple Heart, Three Certificates?

tom2001

This group just arrived in the mail today, and I thought this was neat enough to share. One Purple Heart, with three certificates, all sent to the soldier's father. Zambrano served with HQ Troop, 14th Cavalry Group, and was KIA during the Battle of the Bulge.

post-126-0-03045300-1351104131.jpg

post-126-0-30606500-1351104145.jpg

post-126-0-27922000-1351104156.jpg

post-126-0-35340500-1351104168.jpg

Hi Tom.I have had double certificates and accolades that corrected the wrong death date.Never seen Three.Robert

Hi Tom.I have had double certificates and accolades that corrected the wrong death date.Never seen Three.Robert

Yea, Robert, that explains it. Took me almost 2 hrs to go through all the paperwork that came with the group. Here's a letter that explains the July 1945 certificate. Can't figure out why there were two within 3 weeks of each other though. Also attaching a pic of John:

post-126-0-08153000-1351111067_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-88060800-1351111129.jpg

How cool is that? Lately it's hard enough to find one. I've never seen three [OK I've never seen two].

Actually not "cool" at all. Probably the better choice of words would have been "rare", "unique" or "odd". I am sure it wasn't "cool" for his Father to have to re-read the news not once, but 3 times.

Now for the grouping. Tom, congrats and very unique and historical find. Thank you for sharing.

dhcoleterracina

Perhaps if I was describing the death of a soldier you might have a point. I've been here long enough for people to know what I meant and more importantly that no insult was intended. Do you wish to criticize Tom for "neat" or Kriesmodell for "outstanding"? Take a deep breath next time.

Perhaps if I was describing the death of a soldier you might have a point. I've been here long enough for people to know what I meant and more importantly that no insult was intended. Do you wish to criticize Tom for "neat" or Kriesmodell for "outstanding"? Take a deep breath next time.

I did take a deep breath in my original post. Hence what I wrote. Did you on your initial post?

"Lately it's hard enough to find one."

I am sure you honor and collect Purple Hearts and treat them with the utmost respect. I know Tom Lane does.

Poor choice of words. That is my point.

Jake Powers

I'll post some more pics later, but this is turning out to be an interesting story. (I'll watch my adjectives!! :))

John's story begins in 1943. Having received his draft notice, his family begins to write to get a deferment for him, since he was an important part of the family bakery. He was the only one in the family who could drive the delivery trucks, supposedly. Even after he's inducted, they continue to write: to his C.O., to his Congressman, to his draft board. After getting the bureaucratic shuffle, the decision ends up with his local draft board, who denies his deferment. (there's about 10-15 letters in the group on this subject)

John gets sent overseas, and serves with the 14th Cavalry Group, which was attached to the 106th ID holding the front lines in the Ardennes. He was killed by a mortar round on the second day of the German offensive. It's interesting to read how a family deals with grief and loss. After John's death, his family (mostly his sister and girlfriend) begin writing to anyone they can think of to get details on his death. Both the C.O. and the chaplain write letters, as well as a corporal who served with Zambrano and who witnessed his death. They even write to the Luxembourg consulate in NYC, trying to find out information on the convent John was brought to for treatment. All very poignant stuff. The family saved everything!!

Tom,

These letters help bring much more depth to the Medal and Certificates!!!!! This is a very solid and desirable grouping to share with us. Thank you. :)

Tom

Im glad you are the caretaker of this group.THe personal letters speak volumes.I cant imagine what the father endured each time he recieved a letter from the Department of the Army or when opening and reading each new certificate.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Hello everyone, I know that unfortunately Tom has passed away based on comments above. Does anyone know how I can contact his family OR whoever may have this collection of Sergeant Zambrano’s?The family is trying to reconnect with this collection as it was passed on to Tom (by a family member) without proper permission from direct surviving descendants. As you can imagine, these original documents are very sentimental and it would mean a great deal to have them back in our family. We would appreciate any assistance. 

Hi Bee- as noted above Tom passed almost two years ago and his collection was subsequently sold.  You might want to post in the “Family Seeking Assistance” thread and mention Zambrano’s full name, as these threads do show up in a google search.  Perhaps whoever is currently taking care of the group will see it as they continue their Research.