Not a patch collector but came across these

damcon3

A friend had an aunt who was a WAC pilot during the war. He inherited about 400 patches took out the really common ones and sold them in a big lot at a tag sale. He sold these to me in a box along with about $100 of silver marksman and rank insignias. I paid him $200 for the lot. Did I do OK? Thanks

I would say you did well a few in there are 20 dollar patches if not more. There are a few Phantom Division Patches and some Nice Cav patches tto

A nice array, nice OD bordered 40th Infantry Division there. Though some guys have eagle eyes a can tell from this distance :lol: If you really want a positive ID as the originality of some the more rarer ones like the phantom divisions and the parachute cap badges, then please post close ups of both front and rear.

Looks like you have a so-called "Eight wheeler" Tank Destroyer patch there. Highly sought after by TD collectors of which there are a few on this forum! You have some quite scarce patches there. Good score!

The Cav Division & Phantom patches do look like they are collecter copies, post war made? the Airborne Cap badges seem ok, perhaps others can see with these, if they are indeed WWII.

A WAC pilot? ummm, this does not compute. A WASP maybe? Or more likely a WAC assigned to the AAF?

also the JLC ones are certainly a post WW2 design so this mean that at leats some were collected after the war ended.

Looks like you have a so-called "Eight wheeler" Tank Destroyer patch there. Highly sought after by TD collectors of which there are a few on this forum! You have some quite scarce patches there. Good score!

Which patch is the 8 wheeler? I assume it is the one on the left (obverse view) but I can't really see any detail on the other one. I have the one on the left. Approx. what is it worth? Thanks

Which patch is the 8 wheeler? I assume it is the one on the left (obverse view) but I can't really see any detail on the other one. I have the one on the left. Approx. what is it worth? Thanks

The "8 Wheel" Tank Destroyer is the one that isn't the 4 wheel design. It's the one here on post number nine. To call this patch "rare" is a HUGE overstatement as they may be a bit less common than the 4 wheel designs, but they are not hard to find. The 6 wheel varient is the "rare one." I've had an 8 wheel TD patch in my for sale stock for a long time and have never gotten anyone to want to give me $20 for it, so it must be worth less.

Allan

The "8 Wheel" Tank Destroyer is the one that isn't the 4 wheel design. It's the one here on post number nine. To call this patch "rare" is a HUGE overstatement as they may be a bit less common than the 4 wheel designs, but they are not hard to find. The 6 wheel varient is the "rare one." I've had an 8 wheel TD patch in my for sale stock for a long time and have never gotten anyone to want to give me $20 for it, so it must be worth less.

Allan

Thanks for straightening that out. I have a small pin with 6 wheels that says " SEEK ..STRIKE DESTROY." is that worth anything?