British-made ETO jackets, 8th / 9th Air Forces

Sabrejet

To round off my series of threads on WW2 USAAF uniforms, here are examples of the first and second pattern EMs "ETO Jackets" made in Britain to US specifications for US forces. The designs are a strange fusion of the British Army's battledress blouse and the US Army's OD field jacket. The material used in their manufacture was British khaki wool serge (OD to Americans) The linings were light OD cotton, as found in the US four-pocket service coat. All buttons and hardware were battledress types. Both jackets were issued in quantity to USAAF personnel, as exemplified here.

First pattern ETO.

post-8022-0-88806500-1351001307.jpg

Manufacturer's label. This particular jacket was made in Wales, about 20 miles from where I am right now. The factory was taken over some years ago by the famous Burberry company. It's still there today, in modernized form!

post-8022-0-45448200-1351001564.jpg

Second pattern ETO. Revised design with battledress-style patch pockets and shoulder loops. The gas-flap and belted waistband have been deleted.

post-8022-0-64154500-1351002316.jpg

post-8022-0-82592100-1351002327.jpg

Sabrejet, those are some great uniforms! Thank you for sharing with us. I hope you won't mind if I add my British-made jacket here. This is the service "pinks and green" uniform of 1st Lt Charles W. Pratt, a bomber pilot with the 8th Air Force. His Ike style service jacket is British made, with red silk lining and bullion pilot's wings and rank insignia. Lt Pratt evidently was either well-off financially, or scrupulously saved his flight pay. I have three uniform tunics of his, and every one has custom bullion and/or silk patches. The crusher visor cap (made by Bancroft), jacket, and trousers are all named to Pratt, and the shirt and tie also came with his uniforms. Sorry for the small photos...haven't figured out how to make them larger and stay within the size restrictions yet!

post-61052-0-58537900-1351225372.jpg

A close-up of the front of the jacket showing the hidden British brown uniform buttons. The buttons hidden under the chest pocket flaps are also the brown British style.

post-61052-0-18279700-1351225690.jpg

Sleeve cuff details showing the officer cuff braid - an unusually green color rather than the more normal tan. You can also see pleats above the braid...not found on US-made jackets. The uniform material is also different than the elastique wool used by US uniform makers. It is a rough weave wool.

post-61052-0-30048400-1351225921.jpg