Late WWII Airborne Field Uniforms

gwb123

Salvage Sailor
Yes indeed.......Southern France drop

Army film of troopers just before jumping

Found a colorized out-take from the same US Army film

Gingerbread_Men_6.jpg

These photographs were taken in Italy and Southern France as indicated by the invasion flags. The camo jump suits which are usually associated with the 517th, 509th, and 551st apparently were worn by other troops as well. Because of the 5th Army (Italy) weapons carrier and the FOB bumper markings these photos may have a artillery connection. FOB could be an abbreviation for "Forward Observation Battalion" or "Forward Operating Base". The photograph of the .50 caliber with an anti-aircraft mount is consistent with Airborne Artillery TO&E not Airborne Infantry TO&E so I would lean very heavily on this being a Parachute Artillery unit. Artillery also relied more on organic vehicles and communications which is present in this group of photographs. Because of the 101st photograph it is possible that this group was from a 463rd Parachute Artillery trooper.

This one was interesting. The white mark on the middle of the .50 cal is a skull and cross bones! I'd suspect this was a "hero" shot for the folks back home. Even with peace in the air, the machine gun still has a belt of rounds ready to go.

Note shoulder holster and .45. Perhaps this was one of the medics?

Armed medic?

At first glance, I also thought the holster was German. Now that I look more closely at it, it's a dead ringer for the British .455 holster I have for my Colt New Service.

This type of holster was also used for the Colt .45 revolver.

Yes, that's possible. I know a pic of ETO GI equipped with the British P37 web holster.

• 1 year later...
Kurt Barickman

My bet would be for Southern France in Operation Dragoon. All the uniforms and geography point in that direction. :think:

Kurt Barickman

• 11 years later...
Salvage Sailor

2021 Bump 

zz.jpg

Malayan Hunt John Easton 004.jpg

My grandfather in Malaya wearing his .455 Eley Colt New Service revolver (British proofs) very similar to the Airborne photo posted above.