Soldiers Lost and Found: Students Rediscover the Fallen

ehrentitle

If you want to find the real Teacher of the Year, look no further than Tom Clark. He's giving hope to a new generation.

From the Wall Street Journal, a great video with an amazing story of an Indiana high school history teacher who since the 1980s has been using the fallen solders of Indiana as a means to connect high school soldiers with their stories. He even enlisted in the National Guard at 50 and deployed to Afghanistan. The last story of the video with the parents of a soldier who had recently died in OEF had me choked up:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443890304578006682260044890.html

That should be a class assignment for all schools.Great Story.Kudos to the Teacher.Robert

Robert, When I saw all of those Purple Hearts it actually made me think of your collection. And made me wounder if he has the original Purple Hearts, or if the medals in his classroom display cases are later issue stand-ins and the families retain the originals. Kevin

Thanks for posting the link! I'm sort of surprised that Mr. Clark is not a member here. I've seen his display at his High School and he has a really nice collection!

Robert, When I saw all of those Purple Hearts it actually made me think of your collection. And made me wounder if he has the original Purple Hearts, or if the medals in his classroom display cases are later issue stand-ins and the families retain the originals. Kevin

Hi Kevin.I think he stated that families had donated items to him and the documents shown look real enough.Robert