82nd AB FIND

camelgreen44

I thought this Find would get you fellas excited! As it did myself. I'm not a high dollar militaria collector, that buys whatever he wants for thousands of $$$, I spend most of my weekends scrounging like ya'll.So its still out there, and to get it FIRST hand means more to me than purchasing it at a show. I know you cant find everything in the "neighborhood" , but it sure is great when you do! Also it's great to be able to post here and get all the comments from you guys.Thanks. Ok, now back to the pic, Thought this would get all of you Brits going, these ,I guess 'Tea-spoons' were in this find also, I can only imagine they came from the Holland drop. Maker marked TG, Ltd &Adkins Bros, all dated 1943 W/ Broad arrow. Pack of 6 ,still wrapped in twine. Cool, Denny

post-334-1203258895.jpg

post-334-1203258927.jpg

post-334-1203259172.jpg

I have dreams about stuff like that! I have a jump suit but no ID and not reinforced,very very nice. are the 508 ovals the wool/felt type in the center or cotton? and how about a picture of that 82nd bond drive poster, was that with this group also? , I'm glad it got saved instead of going to the dump or made into some kids halloween costume.

General Apathy

Hi Camelgreen44, back in the seventies I met an American major in Normandy and during the discussion he referered to something as being better than a brick-built shinola house, and I asked him what that expression meant. He said in the wilds of Tennessee where most toilets were built outdoors of wood it was hard to find anything better than a brick-built model, and I think that's just what you have there, it's certainly better than any brick built model if you get my drift.

Fantastic find, pleased you got it.

Cheers ( Lewis )

p.s. on behalf of our government could we have our spoons back please.

Fantastic group, did he also serve with the 504th PIR? The jump wings with the 2 jump stars are mounted on a 504 oval. Thanks for sharing, Jon

JGC- According to his paperwork, He did Honor Guard Duty in Germany with the 508th, then was transfered to the 504th, to come home. Denny

JGC-According to His paperwork, after serving Honor Guard Duty in Germany, He was transfered to the 504th to come home.

brad k- The top oval is on black wool, the bottom is on twill,(it has some glue and paper on the back, from his scrapbook) and the poster did not come with the group, I aquired it after, from a friend,I wouldnt imagine they got their trips to Paris or the States, because the next week they were activated again for the Ardennes Offensive.Tough Luck, huh!!! Denny

post-334-1203299724.jpg

Hi Camelgreen44, back in the seventies I met an American major in Normandy and during the discussion he referered to something as being better than a brick-built shinola house, and I asked him what that expression meant. He said in the wilds of Tennessee where most toilets were built outdoors of wood it was hard to find anything better than a brick-built model, and I think that's just what you have there, it's certainly better than any brick built model if you get my drift.

Fantastic find, pleased you got it.

Cheers ( Lewis )

p.s. on behalf of our government could we have our spoons back please.

Lewis, I was hoping that the British Empire, surely wouldn't miss those 6 Tea Spoons, Ha Ha! Cheers Denny

thanks for posting the additional pictures, some of those ovals are hard to date (for me anyway) I have a twill 508 one I'm not sure about. I was in the 508th in the early 80's and got to know several ww2 vets from going to the 82nd reunions during that time, A good freind of mine was a replacement in co. E 505th after normandy and was in co. E 508th in the drill platoon during the occupation, I realy like that poster, my freind told me that alot of the guys were called back from pass in paris for the battle of the bulge and put on the trucks to the front in their class A's and jump boot's.

thanks for posting the additional pictures, some of those ovals are hard to date (for me anyway) I have a twill 508 one I'm not sure about. I was in the 508th in the early 80's and got to know several ww2 vets from going to the 82nd reunions during that time, A good freind of mine was a replacement in co. E 505th after normandy and was in co. E 508th in the drill platoon during the occupation, I realy like that poster, my freind told me that alot of the guys were called back from pass in paris for the battle of the bulge and put on the trucks to the front in their class A's and jump boot's.

Yes, The white border does appear sorta thick on the ovals posted, and honestly,its not as thin as some WWII ovals,for some reason. But, they both are WWII from his grouping. Thanks denny

Denny:

Thank you for posting the find of a lifetime. I am pleased that grouping is preserved and is in the hands of someone who will care for it. Congratulations for being persistent!

Take care,

Ed

Thought I'd post this sketch for brad k, after mentioning being trucked to the front for the Bulge. It was with his paper stuff. could be a prototype Airborne Wing. Ha Ha! Denny

post-334-1203385150.jpg

post-334-1203385161.jpg

Yes, The white border does appear sorta thick on the ovals posted, and honestly,its not as thin as some WWII ovals,for some reason. But, they both are WWII from his grouping. Thanks denny

Don't worry about them - the 508th were one of the first units to have ovals made with the thick edges during WWII (if not the only unit!), and you can see these being used when they were in England and through to the end of the war in original pics.

Cheers,

Glen.