On WW2 White Army webbing -

jgawne

Interesting article and the many posts. I thought I had a dirty white pistol belt and just dug it out, but it is a M-1912 by Mills Woven Cart. Belt Co so I figure it must just be a really light khaki. Same color inside and out. Sure looks white in the attic next to later khaki belts. Can someone post a pic of a light khaki '12' next to a dirty white belt, for my reference ? I got this years ago at a gun show and a real advanced US belt collector told me "Aww you don't want a white pistol belt" !

In the late 50's I was on the high school ROTC Drill Team and we wore white leggins, white painted helmet liners, carried M-1s, but I don't remember wearing white belts. I need to dig out an old HS annual and check. Will post pics if we had white belts, if you're interested.

JimM

Another possibility is the MP's with the white shoulder straps are under arms and the ones without the straps are not armed. It may have to do with assigned duties more so than shortages.

I believe your right craig, odd photo,they all have White Leggings White liners and White belts, but note that all the men save about two without the White cross strap do not have on their MP brassards ( not on Patrol duty?), while the ones that do have the White cross straps have them on, plus sidearms are noticable on those guys as well, though curiously one of them with the White cross belt has no MP brassard on.

post-34986-0-65413900-1356122242.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

I know this has little value but I will throw it out any way.

Yesterday I watched a movie I had recored a week or so ago. It was Submarine D1 and it was made in 1937. It did have USN support when made. There were several scenes where SP's were wearing white leggings and white pistol belts with the SP brassard. If this stuff was in the system in 37 then it still should be available during the war. They were only wearing the belt. No mag pocket, holster or night stick.

I was going through some stuff and found something that I hadn't thought of in a long time, it's a WWI belt made by LCC, but it's white...really white..I don't know what someone could have done to make it that way, but it didn't affect the markings any.

(I had a tough time getting decent lighting, as a result it isn't as bright as it is in person)

The belt on the top is a normal 1918 dated Long belt with normal wear, the belt on the bottom is a mint 1918 dated Long made belt. The "white" belt is in the middle.

I know this has little value but I will throw it out any way.

Yesterday I watched a movie I had recored a week or so ago. It was Submarine D1 and it was made in 1937. It did have USN support when made. There were several scenes where SP's were wearing white leggings and white pistol belts with the SP brassard. If this stuff was in the system in 37 then it still should be available during the war. They were only wearing the belt. No mag pocket, holster or night stick.

Craig, it's off topic, but I've been looking to watch that movie and could never find a source. Where did you find a copy?

Thanks!

Josh

craig_pickrall

It was on TCM and I recorded it. Actually it isn't a bad movie as far as that type movie goes. They did a decent job on the technical stuff. It's main reason to exist is the developement of the diving bell to rescue sailors from sunk subs.

Browninggunner688

This weekend at a show I saw a belt exactly the same as the white one in the picture, it was WWI all the markings were very legible ( LCC also ) and it was white, I even slightly pulled the pouches from the belt part to see if it was dyed, it was not, it was a white woven web material, it was expensive ( £97.00 =$153 ) I only noticed it because of what I had read on this forum about white made webbing.

Nick

I was going through some stuff and found something that I hadn't thought of in a long time, it's a WWI belt made by LCC, but it's white...really white..I don't know what someone could have done to make it that way, but it didn't affect the markings any.

(I had a tough time getting decent lighting, as a result it isn't as bright as it is in person)

The belt on the top is a normal 1918 dated Long belt with normal wear, the belt on the bottom is a mint 1918 dated Long made belt. The "white" belt is in the middle.

• 3 weeks later...

Just yesterday I was at an antique shop and saw a white pistol belt with holster and what I found interesting was that inside the holster was a very well made wooden .45. I wasn't sure of the vintage nor who all used it, but that's the first time I've seen it in the wild.

How much does this stuff tend to go for?

• 1 month later...
Datil_Mountain_Muse

As far as bleaching goes, has anyone tried peroxide? It is not as harsh as bleach is.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the Feb 1944 MP bulletin quote trumps everything. If the Provost Marshall General's office says it is not available, then it is not available.

And from what it looks like as of the end of the war they starting making LOTS and LOTS of stuff for the constabulary, so a lot of what we might think is WW2 is actually 1946-1948. I've also know evil dealers to stamp post war white stuff with wartime dates to pass it off, as well as stamp leather MP items with wartime dates as well. Which makes trying to actually figure this out very hard.

I have been continuing to look for pre-war wartime catalogs of band and surplus companies with no luck. I was able to check all the wartime Bannerman's, but they only mention they will have white leggings made up if you order more than 3 dozen. Someone must have been making this stuff for band/ceremonial use, as I have my grandfather's white leather sam browne belt he wore as an honor guard for the American Legion. I'm sure the Legion had someplace they could order this stuff from. I seem to remember him in white leggings in a parade, but can't find that photo.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a white M-1923 cartridge belt similar as the one shown in the picture, the belt doesn't appear to have been bleached or dyed.

What branch of service used these white belts?

Thanks in advance,

Tino

post-176-0-30656900-1376653211.jpg

BriansBricks

I picked up a white M-1923 cartridge belt similar as the one shown in the picture, the belt doesn't appear to have been bleached or dyed.

What branch of service used these white belts?

Thanks in advance,

Tino

attachicon.gifgarand cartridge belt m1923.jpg

The angle of the flap on the second to the right seems to indicate it being an M-1917 belt. The flaps of M-1923 belts were often much more angled. The evidence that other forum members have put forward suggests that white gear was usually used by MPs and Cavalry units.

Here's another photo of either bleached or white field gear.

9525244720_6ba82ba610_c.jpg

Thanks for your reply, you have a good eye!

The previously posted picture was used as a color reference only, sorry for the confusion.

Here is a picture of the actual (M-1923) cartridge belt I found.

post-176-0-97610700-1376786756.jpg

Thanks for your reply, you have a good eye!

The previously posted picture was used as a color reference only, sorry for the confusion.

Here is a picture of the actual (M-1923) cartridge belt I found.

Tito, that's a strikingly handsome cartridge belt you have there, I may be wrong, but maybe it's a 1950s made one? used by the Navy?

RustyCanteen

I don't know, it sure looks like "U.S" (very faded) on the front right pouch. I would think it might be issue, but some commercial items were US marked too. Just a thought, since the "U.S." is still visible, can you see any manufacturers name on the reverse?

Alloy buckles would be 1943-to sometime post WWII. I know they went to brass by the Korean War.

Just a thought but is it possible that this belt was issued to mountain troops etc to be used with the reversible white ski parka? (snow camouflage)

For some reason I don't think this is MP related.

It's hard to see but it appears to be 43 dated

post-176-0-17374400-1377125667.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen:

I ran across this interesting pic on the 'net of a mixed bag of people very obviously in the UK given the presence of the Bobbies. Note the white belted MPs. British made P-37 gear?

Whoisthis_zps4e57a951.jpg

Photo credit to yonahforge.

Regards,

Charlie