Wrap broach Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

wartimecollectables.com

Love those Navy DSM's!!! Great design and some of the best work done by the US Mint you will ever see.

Thanks for sharing.

DakotaDave

Very nice! Attributed I would assume?

Unfortunately it's not. I've never owned a WWII USN DSM in an attributed group. Their incredibly rare.

Unfortunately it's not. I've never owned a WWII USN DSM in an attributed group. Their incredibly rare.

Almost as rare as that case!

Kurt

Posted Today, 05:26 PM

wartimecollectables.com, on 21 October 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Very nice! Attributed I would assume?

Almost as rare as that case!

Kurt

That's a case I want!!!! :)

Greetings to all!

I hope everyone has been well, it's been an awesome fall here in the mid-Atlantic states, a welcome relief from the brutal summer we had!

I really admire the USN DSM, a beautiful medal. This year marks my 50th year of collecting, and I was quite young when I started (7 yrs of age) but if you count it in dog years :lol: it took me 48 years to land my example.

It was worth the wait! What a beautiful piece, I had later issues but until I got my hands on this I never new how nice they were. I can't even image how gorgeous a first issue with the wide lug must be!

Hopefully, one day I'll be able to put this in it's proper case (I missed Robert's case on this Forum by minutes!!) For now I have it resting in an early pearl button.

I've enjoyed seeing all the examples, Adam's is breathtaking! DDave's is very interesting, I've always wondered about WWII issue, having never seen a short titled USN case for a DSM. The untitled case makes perfect sense since it was a seldom issued award. I learn something new everyday here.

And I thank Andrew (who has helped me and added many beautiful things to my collection) for starting this thread and sharing his lovely example, my best wishes to everyone.

Joe

post-48324-0-22117900-1350941838_thumb.jpg

I have a attributed Navy DSM to a LTG Berkeley, USMC. I have all of his full size medals.

4starchris

I have a attributed Navy DSM to a LTG Berkeley, USMC. I have all of his full size medals.

4starchris

NOW......why doesn't that surprise me!! :lol:

There would only be a very few members that I would suspect to have one.

• 1 month later...

post-387-0-06870100-1355342735.jpg

Here is the named Navy DSM grouping I have to LTG Berkeley. His dad is the famous Marine MOH recipient as well. The medals are numbered and some are engraved as well.

The LOM with V device was for Iwo Jima.

CHris

Thank you. I have posted other threads so I decided to put it here as well so others would not have to search for it. It is a great set from a high ranking USMC general officer which are rarely if ever seen much less owned.

4starchris

Wow! Very beautiful examples and very lucky owners. I would love to marry my Navy DSM to a proper period box. In the mean time it sits in a riker mount with my other medals.

Jim

• 8 years later...

OK I'll jump in the pool. I was lucky enough to find early and later split and wrapped brooch in light blue cases. What are the chances? 100% with the good will of folks on this forum

LWZBE7606.JPG

OQLHE0203.JPG