Collecting and reenacting OIF/OEF/DS ?

luft

Johnny Signor

Hi!, I'm looking for modern gear but there are a lot of reproductions made in China. Where can I find original stuff?

Regards

Try this site

IACMC Militaria Forum

Johnny

I'm looking for modern gear but there are a lot of reproductions made in China. Where can I find original stuff?

Sadly, some of the uniforms [and by extension- gear?] of this era were made in China! When this became public knowledge the BOD5 hit the twirling propeller and US Armed Forces gear went back to Made in America. A sad byt strange chapter in our history.

Tom

Tom, when did it happen? Majority of 2001-today gear and uniforms I have in collection are made in US. Unless I missed something?

Here is what as far I know:

The US issue equipment made by Specialty Defense (SDS) are in US, designed in Natick, MA. Many high-end aftermarket companies such as Eagle Industries, Tactical Tailor, London Trade Bridge, the list goes on, are based and made in US as well. The only high-end aftermarket company such as Blackhawk Industries is made in China, however the company itself is based in US.

The issued BDU's or uniforms are made in US. Soldiers can purchase (Non issue) commercial made uniforms such as Propper. Mostly were made in countries such as Honduras.

The chinese made gear such as Condor, Voodoo tactical, etc... Are common pieces at surplus stores, with their market target to Airsoft. Quality is completely crap but cheap. Some soldiers bought and used them in combat because it meets their budget (however it is very uncommon). But never were issued to US troops.

Tom, when did it happen? Majority of 2001-today gear and uniforms I have in collection are made in US. Unless I missed something?

My recollection is that this happened about 3-5 years back, and involved Army uniforms. I believe ther was some gear involved, but cannot say for absolute certainty if and when. I'm not sure if the Army Times or CNN Archieves (where this was initially reported) ar available far enough back on line to research. The big stink was that issue uniforms by law are supposed to be made in the US period. The 2d stink was the country of origin. There was a lot of noise, resolution, then quickly disappeared.

Tom

This was the dreaded beret incident. Back when everyone got a gold star... I mean a beret, there was not enough production capability to make all that were needed in the US so they let China make some. Guys were issued made in China berets and got upset. It hit the news. Congress got involved and said no more buying from China.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=81147&page=1

I believe that a collector buys what interests him, and often times future profit does not motivate a 'collector' in the true sense of the word.

Stockpiling modern unissued/wrapped in plastic kit is not such a great idea. An item used in Theatre with a story is always far more interesting than a sterile piece of kit that has sat in a Q store or warehouse for years.

I collect WW2 USMC, and like to have 1 mint example and also an issued example of each piece where possible.

I was in IRQ 2004-2005 and with collecting from any conflict, modified/theatre made and special equipment is the way to go IMHO. I have 2 trunks full of stuff, it still stinks like Baghdad and has a story to tell.

Good luck with your endeavours my friend, as an OIF Vet I think it is a great idea ! and I am sure many other OIF/OEF Vets here on the Forum will answer in the affirmative,

Cheers

Sean

DesertRatTom

This was the dreaded beret incident. Back when everyone got a gold star... I mean a beret, there was not enough production capability to make all that were needed in the US so they let China make some. Guys were issued made in China berets and got upset. It hit the news. Congress got involved and said no more buying from China.

http://abcnews.go.co...id=81147&page=1

Thanks for the clarification and research!

Tom

VolunteerArmoury

I'm a veteran of OIF & OND and I collect pre-WW2 stuff mostly but I accumulate up thru today (especially when I have an extra mason jar of "medicine" from home in the Tennessee hills to take to Supply buddies). Once upon a time as everyone has mentioned things that are hard to find now or expensive were all over and considered junk with reactions of "why are you collecting that stuff." One man's junk is another man's treasure so collect what you like. I don't see why someone wants to collect Star Wars stuff and I still have a ton of it from when I was a kid that I want to get rid of but those who collect that or other may see militaria as weird to collect. As for reenacting it, I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing someone wear a uniform that I wear. Honestly it bothers me to see even World War 2 reenactments wearing all the badges but that's a soapbox. But collect what you like. If you want, email me and I'll see if I still some extra of my patches and I'll send ya one or two. I think I traded most of my uniforms with exception of the ones for my "I love me, pile" but if I have one I'll send it to ya.

Johnny Signor

I believe that a collector buys what interests him, and often times future profit does not motivate a 'collector' in the true sense of the word.

Stockpiling modern unissued/wrapped in plastic kit is not such a great idea. An item used in Theatre with a story is always far more interesting than a sterile piece of kit that has sat in a Q store or warehouse for years.

I collect WW2 USMC, and like to have 1 mint example and also an issued example of each piece where possible.

I was in IRQ 2004-2005 and with collecting from any conflict, modified/theatre made and special equipment is the way to go IMHO. I have 2 trunks full of stuff, it still stinks like Baghdad and has a story to tell.

Good luck with your endeavours my friend, as an OIF Vet I think it is a great idea ! and I am sure many other OIF/OEF Vets here on the Forum will answer in the affirmative,

Cheers

Sean

I agree witht he aspect of "worn in the field/modified etc" equipment/gear is always "collectable" , but also not everyone who collects can always find/afford said gear , so the bagged items are the only other choice if money and or "availablilty is a good option too .

DesertRatTom

I'm a veteran of OIF & OND and I collect pre-WW2 stuff mostly but I accumulate up thru today... Once upon a time as everyone has mentioned things that are hard to find now or expensive were all over and considered junk with reactions of "why are you collecting that stuff." One man's junk is another man's treasure so collect what you like. I don't see why... [others] may see militaria as weird to collect.

As for reenacting it, I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing someone wear a uniform that I wear. Honestly it bothers me to see even World War 2 reenactments wearing all the badges but that's a soapbox. But collect what you like.

Thank you for your service. My son in law, USA doctor, 'adopted' daughter and godson with multiple tours that were extended, and several subsequent friends & clients have all done tours. My war was a lifetime ago- VN. I still work with Vets- some in a VSO type capacity, others still as 'doc'. I collect VN era, am partial to WW I & II issue, have done ACW reenacting- USA, CSA, and Naval Riverine Squadrons on both sides as well, in honor of ancestors- yep, both sides Army & Navy. But I digress.

As far as collecting goes, collect what you feel is 'right'. There will be cerain items that 'speak' to you and belong in your collecion for reasons that you understand, or just because. If you are looking to make some big money by collecting, it pretty much won't happen. Collecting to for fun and maybe making a nominal return over 15-20 years is doable, but rarely big $$$ are realized.

As to OEF/OIF/OND & GWOT reenacting goes, I think you are too close to the elephant. Something to consider are laws about wearing current issue military uniforms if you are a civilian, and that salad (ribbons, medals) on your chest might put you at odds with the Stolen Valor laws. Just some thoughts.

Tom

I agree with everyone else, collect/reenact what YOU want...who cares what anyone else thinks?? It's YOUR hobby! And as for collecting modern day items, NOW is the time to get them! As you've seen, what we consider common or worthless today, won't be in the future. I was stationed in Germany from 1989-1998...before the Berlin Wall came down, IF you could find any Soviet or DDR stuff, you could more or less set your own price when you sold it...after the Wall came down, you couldn't GIVE the stuff away. I collected Third Reich stuff then, and I even told my wife that I should buy up all the Russian and East German stuff I could find, because we were going to see the start of an entirely new subset of militaria collecting and in time it would cost $$$$ to collect - in those days, you could get an East German generals dagger, cased with hangers for about $20..today, those sell for as much as Nazi daggers. Sadly, I didn't listen to myself..I picked up a few things here and there, but I really missed the boat...the stuff is getting pretty pricey.

As for wearing uniforms, badgers, etc....this does NOT fall under the Stolen Valor Act..there have been a number of Title 18 U.S.C. court cases relating to people wearing uniforms and the like...and every time, the courts ruled that if you're performing in a play, performance or the like, it's a free speech matter and therefor, not against the law, and reenactors fall under that. It's only when you wear a uniform, claim a certain medal, or military career for personal gain or benefit, does it become a Stolen Valor issue. Three years ago, I went head to head with a former Air Force officer who was trying to get my best friend's equestrian team kicked out of a parade because they wore partial military uniforms...but once she was confronted with the court rulings she backed down...but what it really came down to, is she has an equestrian team of her own and was trying to get in the same parade. Anyway....bottom line is...do what YOU want!!!

Mark sends