Some more WW2 USMC gear

1940Desoto

Here is some more kit for my '44 1st MARDIV 'Tommy gun slinger'...I'm getting closer !! I never thought I'd say this but it is getting harder to locate good salty gear but I'm not complaining. (If you have any that may suit my purpose ie. early date M2 jungle aid pouch ;) please let me know via PM...much appreciated).

I was stoked to find the towel, nice and salty (yet surprisingly hygienic). The S F Co pouches came on a M1936 belt/harness rig (married) for the sum of $ 40 which is cheap here in Australia. I traded the rig for a dog ear cover. The short brim cap came with other bits and pieces (Hygiene roll, meat can pouch etc) as is and has been together for a long time. There is a 1923 dated Japanese Sen coin as the backing for the EGA. The pouch in the centre is the Aussie made Thompson/Reising variety.

Thanks to very helpful Forum members I have almost completed my M2 first aid kit. Once done it is onto the Hygiene roll, cigarettes, socks and boots and I'm done...for now ;)

Did I mentioin a USMC M3 shoulder holster ?

Thanks and all the best,

Sean

post-60220-0-53541200-1350632577.jpg

Corpsmancollector

That's a really nice set up. Especially the Aussie made thompson pouch, they don't come along all that often...Keep up the good work!

Will

Those are some choice items! I love everything in the photo!

HBT Overseas hat, Marine wire cutter pouch and the hat are fantastic.

I finally finished my Jungle pouch and working on the hygiene items as well, just missing a toothbrush!

I swear we are going to have the battle of the Marine Displays here on USMF soon!

Incredible

Leonardo

Thanks guys,

Corpsman, I was shocked to find the Thompson pouch here in Aus, the AIF used up alot of the surplus Marine contract gear when the 1st Division left Melbourne for Gloucester end of '43. I have seen many images of Aussies wearing Vandergrifts and these pouches.

Leonardo, I am very much looking forward to seeing you progress mate !! Toothbrushes are a bain dont you find. I will keep my eyes open for 2 (1 each) and PM you with what I find. This is cool... you are doing Iwo and I am Peleliu/Okinawa. We should join forces ;) PM me with what you need.

Iam a sucker for 'salty' pouches and hats !!

I am currently negotiating on a prop 'Tommy gun' for my display. And waiting on a S F Co USMC marked pistol belt to arrive.

I will post more items soon.

Best regards Gents,

Sean

Nice kit mate,

all I need to complete mine is the band aids. I have a mint(ish) '43 dated pouch but am on the hunt for a 'salty' one. Are those the wound tablets in the tin below the mozzie repellant ?

Great items! The tin and the item below it are not original issue to the pouch. Also that is an unusual Frazers solution bottle. Can I see a better picture of it?

Otherwise you have the other parts %100, always good to see these pouches reborn and you did and excellent job!

Leonardo

Yes Desoto I'm very close to finishing up, I hope to get the last few items by the end of the year so I can concentrate on Iwo Japanese items. I'm actually looking for a particular toothbrush brand that I've seen in a WWII marine kit layout. the other kit items I need are very common items that just need to pick up.

I'll keep my eyes open for the bandaids. I went through my medical items thinking I had an extra band aids but I don't seem to have any extras.

Leonardo

Sorry for the delay in posting this. Here's a better pic of the Frazers bottle Leonardo requested. Is this not correct for an early kit?

Thanks,

Bryan

Yes, i understand about the new photo upload.

That doesn't look like a Frazers bottle I've ever seen before. Where did You get it from?

http://marinesinforestgreen.blogspot.com/2012/06/wwii-usmc-frazers-solution-bottle.html?m=1

Here is a link to what they look like, this is the one in my collection. There are label variations but I've never seen a bottle variation such as yours.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Leonardo

Ok Rusty thanks!

I'm just not familer with these types of bottles. Is this the type that were in the M1 jungle roll from the early part of the war? I know the components are a bit different.

I can't take credit for assembling this kit. I purchased it from Forum member Hired Gun and it's one of my favorite pieces! But yes, there's a major difference. Your version is pictured in "Grunt Gear", which I consider my collecting bible. My version appears in "USMC Uniforms & Equipment 1941-45" which is also a very nice reference. Would like to hear other's take on this.

Thanks, Leonardo, for the link and the info!

Bryan

I'm not sure, it may be.

The bottle does look a little like an earlier bottle?

Good idea though, maybe we can find something on it.

Gents,

Here is a link to both 1st type and M2 jungle aid kits

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62523-jungle-first-aid-kit-individual-roll-type-discussion/

This link is good for the M2 specifically

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/143112-jungle-first-aid-kits/page__hl__%2Bjungle+%2Bfirst+%2Baid+%2Bkit

I do not believe that to be an original Frazer bottle...sorry.

Original bottles had the name Duraglas moulded into the bottle. Does your bottle have the restricted opening ?

It may well be a variant.

The maker label is identicle to two Richard Green ones I have in my collection. I may have another one up for sale soon.

Rich