USMC P1912 Dress Uniform (1916-1917) Charles L. Carothers. Sea Duty

Fritz

Got a call today from a picker friend and came home with this, a little dirty and needs cleaning, but it's a pretty nice named 1916/17 dated dress blues, with the pants and the white leather belt. Named to a Marine named Carothers, havnt been able to find a first initial but I know it came from the Sandusky Ohio area, hopefully I can track him down. Any thoughts on where to possibly look for him?

Fritz

post-4127-0-43874700-1350608997.jpg

A very quick check of the muster rolls shows a Charles L, Charles F and maybe a Charles E and also a Ralph that look most promising ....like the period belt!

Could the last name be "Carother" and not "Carothers", look at the 3rd picture, the "S" is spaced quite a bit differently than the other letters, also in both the pants and coat are hand writte "AW3291" .

Fritz

Is there any evidence of of Chevrons having been sewn on to the sleeves (inside or outside)?

I just looked it over real good and can't find any signs of having stripes.

Fritz

Thanks! Thats what I'm thinkg as well. Is dry cleaning OK for this? It's been so long since I had to have a uniform cleaned, not sure if newer chemicals will hurt it.

Fritz

teufelhunde.ret

After more searching of the rolls, I believe your jacket can be attributed to a Charles L. Carothers, who enlisted in 1915 from Toledo, Ohio (not far from Sandusky) Dress Blues were not something issued to everyone who went thru Boot Camp, but to those who were assigned to Sea Duty, with the Fleet. Checking the other Marines with same last name, none of the others were assigned, to Sea Duty. And did he get around, he served aboard the USS Virgina; Vermont; Pennsylvania; Olympia; and USS North Carolina. He finally came ashore in 1918 and was in the AEF around August of that year (136th Company, U S Marines U S Naval Base, Cardiff, Wales). Note, he was promoted to Corporal prior to leaving. He returned Feb 1919 and was discharged... a Corporal. Not very likely he was interested in putting chevrons on the Blues at the time of shipping out for war or upon his return and immediate discharge. My two cents...

BTW there are no "Carother" on the USMC muster rolls

After more searching of the rolls, I believe your jacket can be attributed to a Charles L. Carothers, who enlisted in 1915 from Toledo, Ohio (not far from Sandusky) Dress Blues were not something issued to everyone who went thru Boot Camp, but to those who were assigned to Sea Duty, with the Fleet. Checking the other Marines with same last name, none of the others were assigned, to Sea Duty. And did he get around, he served aboard the USS Virgina; Vermont; Pennsylvania; Olympia; and USS North Carolina. He finally came ashore in 1918 and was in the AEF around August of that year (136th Company, U S Marines U S Naval Base, Cardiff, Wales). Note, he was promoted to Corporal prior to leaving. He returned Feb 1919 and was discharged... a Corporal. Not very likely he was interested in putting chevrons on the Blues at the time of shipping out for war or upon his return and immediate discharge. My two cents...

BTW there are no "Carother" on the USMC muster rolls

THANKS teufelhunde!!!

Fritz

• 11 years later...