Lets see your "Coat, Parachute Jumper" or trousers

Mr-X

There are one or two other threads dealing with the "Coat, Parachute Jumper" but they are lacking a good many pics now and are a bit old.

Lets see your "Coat, Parachute Jumper" and make sure you highlight any interesting points on your jacket or trousers.

Also feel free to add any wartime snap shots of the uniforms that you have. Make sure you note the Soldier, Unit and date if known.

These are all from the album of a Trooper in the 503 PIR (First battalion - I think) taken in New Guinea 1943.

Note: there are some first model "Coat, Paratroop Jumper" in a few pics.

img488.jpg

img500.jpg

img493.jpg

img505.jpg

img503.jpg

img508.jpg

img492.jpg

Original picture in my collection.

82nd Airborne Division.

Taken in Sicily or Italy, as it is on a Tensi Photograph/Postcard.

Notice the sewn up pockets on both the jacket and trousers.

uniforms021_edited.jpg

uniforms024.jpg

The "Coat, Parachute Jumper" from my collection.

No Tag. Size stamped "38" then later stamped "36 R".

It has two different laundry numbers. Small stamped "F2296". 2x Large Stamped "M-0489".

It is starched for walking out.

The main zipper has been replaced with an "EMAR" zip from a Air Corps Parachute Bag (I have seen the same zip on other jackets).

The two parts of the female press snap are brass. As is the top of the male, but the bottom is zinc.

It has signs of a SSI but I can tell which one.

It has some nice period minor repairs.

Belt is a different shade-may have come from a different jacket.

Overall color is a very slight green shade.

Thread stitching is OD.

uniforms032.jpg

uniforms034.jpg

uniforms036.jpg

uniforms038.jpg

uniforms039.jpg

One the subject of laundry numbers, you used to be able to search them using the NARA AAD.

i.e ****0489

I have noticed that you can no longer use wildcards (*) to search the serial number field without 3 full digits infront.

That has killed the laundry number search thumbdown.gif

When I queried NARA AAD about the fact the once you could search laundry numbers and now you can not, this is what they had to say:

Dear Mr. McCann,This is in reply to your email of February 13, 2008, regarding the use of wildcard characters when searching the World War II Army EnlistmentRecords, available via the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) resource. Unfortunately, you cannot search the World War II Army EnlistmentRecords by the last four digits of a serial number because, due tosystem limitations, AAD no longer supports searches containing awildcard character (% or *) in the first, second, or third position in a search term. Search criteria in non-coded fields, such as name or Army serial number fields, should include at least three alpha-numeric characters before the wildcard character. We realize that many researchers only have initials and/or the last four digits of a serial number to search by and the system limitations do not allow such searches. We apologize for the inconvenience. For more details on searching the World War II Army Enlistment Records and the limitations of these records, please see the Frequently Asked Questions for the records as accessible through AAD at:<ftp://216.54.96.55/aad_docs/rg64_army_serial_faq.pdf> (insert underscores for blank spaces when accessing this URL). We hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions about AAD or the Electronic and Special Media Records Services Division, please contact us. Our email address is <[email protected]> and our telephonenumber is (301) 837-0470. Sincerely, Lynn Goodsell Archivist Electronic and Special Media Records Services Division (NWME) National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)

The laundry number search is no more :(

NARA AAD your stocks are falling.

Excellent collection. Congratulations thumbsup.gif

Notice the sewn up pockets on both the jacket and trousers.

Do not you think that upper pockets were re-sewn, not only sewn up? They seem to have other angle (not so acute) than in the original design of M1942 jump jacket...?

Regards

Greg

I have an ID'd Coat and trousers from a local vet that I will photograph and post. But in the meantime, here is the a close-up of the leg pocket of his trousers. Note the reinforcement. I asked him about who did the reinforcement, whether he had it done or it was issued that way and he said that it was issued to him like that.

post-203-1203159147.jpg

post-203-1203159281.jpg

Excellent collection. Congratulations thumbsup.gif

Do not you think that upper pockets were re-sewn, not only sewn up? They seem to have other angle (not so acute) than in the original design of M1942 jump jacket...?

Regards

Greg

The are in its original position. There is a small resew job on one of the pocket flaps where it was becoming unattached. (you might be able to see it in the pictures.

IMHO, I think the angle of the pockets has a lot to do with the size of the jacket. Smaller Jackets had a steeper angle, this is because the pocket size did not change with the size of the jacket. Another factor may have been the manufacturing companies understanding of the designs furnished to manufacture the jackets. What ever the reason you see a lot of different angles.

One the subject of laundry numbers, you used to be able to search them using the NARA AAD.

i.e ****0489

I have noticed that you can no longer use wildcards (*) to search the serial number field without 3 full digits infront.

When I queried NARA AAD about the fact the once you could search laundry numbers and now you can not, this is what they had to say:

Dear Mr. McCann,This is in reply to your email of February 13, 2008, regarding the use of wildcard characters when searching the World War II Army EnlistmentRecords, available via the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) resource. Unfortunately, you cannot search the World War II Army EnlistmentRecords by the last four digits of a serial number because, due tosystem limitations, AAD no longer supports searches containing awildcard character (% or *) in the first, second, or third position in a search term. Search criteria in non-coded fields, such as name or Army serial number fields, should include at least three alpha-numeric characters before the wildcard character. We realize that many researchers only have initials and/or the last four digits of a serial number to search by and the system limitations do not allow such searches. We apologize for the inconvenience. For more details on searching the World War II Army Enlistment Records and the limitations of these records, please see the Frequently Asked Questions for the records as accessible through AAD at: (insert underscores for blank spaces when accessing this URL). We hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions about AAD or the Electronic and Special Media Records Services Division, please contact us. Our email address is and our telephonenumber is (301) 837-0470. Sincerely, Lynn Goodsell Archivist Electronic and Special Media Records Services Division (NWME) National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)

Actually, if you can use a wildcard* for the 4th digit yet, you can still come up with likely candidates! Simply enter the 1st 2 digits as before, then 0 and *, then the last 4 digits. If nothing useful comes up, replace the 0 with 1 and repeat, then 2, etc. Yes, it is slow, but it can be done.

G

i.e ****0489

Dear Mr. McCann,This is in reply to your email of February 13, 2008, regarding the use of wildcard characters when searching the World War II Army EnlistmentRecords, available via the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) resource. Unfortunately, you cannot search the World War II Army EnlistmentRecords by the last four digits of a serial number because, due tosystem limitations, AAD no longer supports searches containing awildcard character (% or *) in the first, second, or third position in a search term. Search criteria in non-coded fields, such as name or Army serial number fields, should include at least three alpha-numeric characters before the wildcard character. We realize that many researchers only have initials and/or the last four digits of a serial number to search by and the system limitations do not allow such searches. We apologize for the inconvenience. For more details on searching the World War II Army Enlistment Records and the limitations of these records, please see the Frequently Asked Questions for the records as accessible through AAD at: (insert underscores for blank spaces when accessing this URL). We hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions about AAD or the Electronic and Special Media Records Services Division, please contact us. Our email address is and our telephonenumber is (301) 837-0470. Sincerely, Lynn Goodsell Archivist Electronic and Special Media Records Services Division (NWME) National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)

Actually, if you can use a wildcard* for the 4th digit yet, you can still come up with likely candidates! Simply enter the 1st 2 digits as before, then 0 and *, then the last 4 digits. If nothing useful comes up, replace the 0 with 1 and repeat, then 2, etc. Yes, it is slow, but it can be done.

G

G

Hang on, sorry its late here :blink:

So whay you are saying is to do something like this:

To search Draftees for example

301x0489 then 302x0489 then 303x0489 am I on the right track?

Yup, that's what I tried to explain earlier. thumbsup.gif

It takes some time, but you might have luck.

Erwin

Erwin and Gil,

you both must have some patience. thumbsup.gif

I dont know if I can concentrate for that long w00t.gif

Now what was I doing......... um

Johan Willaert

Can it get more mint than this?

A brand new unissued pair of Parachute Trousers, from the Loan Sample Room of the Phila QM Depot. Attached with a PQMD Marked red wax seal is a tag, dated Oct 21st, 1942, stating that this pair of trousers is to be considered a pattern for manufacturers and is to be returned after use.

Had this in my collection since the early 90's....

M42QMDepotMint.jpg

M42QMDepotFront.jpg

M42QMDepotDeal.jpg

Enjoy,

Johan