Removing paint from M-1 Helmet

strawberry 9

So I have a M-1 helmet in my collection that has a new layer of incorrect OD paint on it. The thing is that I can see the outline of the 3rd infantry insignia on the side of the helmet, beneath the layer of post WWII paint. My question is, how can I remove the outer layer of paint without damaging or removing the insignia and whatever original paint is left underneath. I've looked at paint removers at the hardware store but they all seem to strong. Any help would be appreciated.

Goof Off is a good product but ive only used it a few times, some other members here have had great results with it and other products and im sure they will see this thread soon and offer you some good advice, in the meantime can you post any pics of your helmet?....thanks....mike

Goof off is fantastic. the newer paint melts right away while the stronger, older paint remains. Use q-tips, and slowly work off the OD paint. be prepared to go through tons of q-tips on the insignia part....

So I got some of the GOOF OFF today and gave it a shot. It is working, it's just a slow process. The 3rd Inf. insignia is starting to show through. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of the blue left. The whole thing is sandwiched between three layers of paint on top and the original underneath. I'm taking a break for now. The rest of the helmet is going to be a chore. Here are some pics of before and during. After will come some time in the future.

Before:

before.jpg

During:

during.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

wow, nice result!

The 3rd Div. markings look big...Could this be occupation era or Korean war?

None the less, nice helmet

wow, nice result!

The 3rd Div. markings look big...Could this be occupation era or Korean war?

None the less, nice helmet

Thanks! It could be either of those. The helmet is a rear seam with mid war chinstraps and hardware. There is at least 3 layers of paint on the helmet in various shades of green. Unfortunately, I don't think I can take the remaining paint off without destroying the corking and original paint. So I think I will leave it as is for now. It does appear that the marking is on top of the original OD green paint though.

• 2 weeks later...

So after putting in some work with the Goof Off I realized that taking all of the added paint off without removing the original along with the corking was impossible. I decided to stop at just the insignia. Here is the finished product. Not exactly what I hoped for but I'm still happy to revel the old 3rd Inf. insignia.

post-100432-0-77424500-1353119064.jpg