437th Troop Carrier Group, 83rd Squadron 9th AAC

Tom Kibler

Not so long ago, I had a call to a gentleman's home, Glenn Shaffer. Glenn is 90 and still mentally sound. After discussion the reason for the police call, I noticed his photo on the back wall of his home. Glenn was in the 437th Troop Carrier Group during WWII. He told me the story of 6 June 44. Glenn's plane was full of 82nd troopers headed for the invasion. He told me he made three trips on the 6th. The second two were towing gliders.

After to war, he knew several troopers in the area... They all thanked his service as the "Paratrooper's Mule".

Glenn's crew flew in Market Garden and dropped supplies during the Bulge. He even said he was forced to make a jump by his Squadron Commander - so he knew what it was like.

Anyway - These are Glenn's.

post-6293-0-22640900-1350320882_thumb.jpg

Make sure you've paid your phone bill. :D

Very nice group and a great way to get it.

M

Thanks M - I don't think too many people would even be interested. It's not "SEXY" enough.

TK

It's cool by me! Interesting also in that is has the AAC Observer armband. You see stacks of them at shows, but I don't think I've seen one in a group or in a photo. Pretty cool.

Pay your phone bill so you can call those vets in that book.

Plenty of people are interested in this stuff and with provenance you did very well.

Plus you have phone numbers to last you until ?

And you have tremendous favor.

Hi Tom,

Thats another Fantastic piece of History you have got there and IDed to a Member of the 437th T.C.G

that was involved in D-day to Market Garden to the Bulge, you cannot get any better than that

PROVENANCE with his missions behind it if you ask me, and Thanks for sharing it with us ;)

That sure is a Fantastic Centre Piece you have there to add to any WWII A.B Related Military Collection Very Nice indeed Well Done

Tomás.

gliderrider401

Great Grouping Tom. The Troop Carriers are the unsung heroes of WWII. Have been blessed to be friends with many.

Rich

Nope...

Field Title Value Meaning

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 33243653 33243653

NAME SHAFFER#GLENN#F

RESIDENCE: STATE #2 Undefined Code

RESIDENCE: COUNTY 133 Undefined Code

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 3252 HARRISBURG PENNSYLVANIA

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 28 28

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 10 10

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 42 42

• 5 weeks later...

Here are several documents that I've recently received. The gentleman that rented Glenn Shaffer's home to him has been cleaning it out and called me up to tell me he'd found some old stuff and did I want it? He mentioned there was more junk....

I received three documents, another patch and some more collar insignia.

post-6293-0-70963300-1353030480_thumb.jpg

Here is the last document.

I will be listing these for sale on this site (something I've not yet done here). It will be the entire group as I've received it. Prior to listing it - I wanted everyone to see what there is.

post-6293-0-61750300-1353030800_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

It has been a while since I posted this grouping. I did sell it to a gentleman in France, as he expressed great desire in it. However, I lost his email...

I needed to find him (and I did) to tell him that several items just came out of his house and I wanted to keep the integrity of the group together and intact rather than run the money gambit.

Anyway, there are letters, documents, certificates, newspapers, cards, rosters... the works.

Suffice it to say - I made sure he got it all.

Hope you enjoy it - it was a huge haul of paper items....

post-6293-0-72852900-1365250980.jpg