Help With Unidentified Cav patch

Steverino

Many of you have probably seen this patch at various military shows over the years. It was always a "Trade Only" patch. I have yet to find anyone who can provide a positive ID on it. The patch is most likely a post-WWII German-made patch. I understand that Bill K. has a plausible theory on the patch, but I have yet to hear it. Perhaps he can share his theory, and others are certainly welcome to offer theirs as well. What say you readers?

patch Johnson

post-640-0-14033600-1350285956.jpg

gooseandspoons

it's an armoured cav unit of some sort. it looks like it has a couple of different symbols ive seen in ACR patches before, especially the 104th ACR. it's got spurs and tank tracks.

I would say some sort of constabulary/armored cav unit. The grey line between the 2 Germanic crosses probably represents the border between East and West Germany. That silver bullion does certainly have a German-made look to it ("SS collar tab bullion")

The line could very well represent the iron curtain, good theory! Another shot in the dark: From the heraldic point of view the line ("Wellenbalken" or "Wellenlinie") usually represents a river. In Germany every district, town, even the smalest vilages have their own crest. The "inner section" of the spur with Wellenbalken and Tatzenkreuzen reminds me on such a crest. Search the net for those terms and you will find hundreds of pictures. Maybe this crest represents the area or garrison town the unit was located?

post-640-0-14033600-1350285956_neu.jpg

Hi Steve,

Sorry you could not make the convention,you were missed. I spoke with the Kellers and they had the ID nailed as far as I was concerned. They had the details on the patch all explained to my satisfaction but Kurt wanted DNA positive level of surety. check with Kurt and he can fill you in. Maybe will see you at SOS. Mort

• 1 month later...
Garth Thompson

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the nation secret here. Bill K may never get DNA certainty. Why doesn't someone just tell us what he thinks it is.

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the nation secret here. Bill K may never get DNA certainty. Why doesn't someone just tell us what he thinks it is.

Garth,

i'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya! :lol: Honestly, I remember Bill talking about it at ASMIC, but I don't know that he ever actually said what unit it was. :(

Happy Thanksgiving brother!

Allan

So why is it a secret, Mort ? :huh:

Yes, they already published their Cavalry and Armor Patches book, well Kurt at any rate, guess they IDed after that book was out, :lol: so what did they tell you it was Mortay?

Patches, here goes the story. At the ASMIC show the Kellers had by the process of elimination and figuring out what the symbols ment on the patch what the unit "probably" is; but did not to my recollection say what it actually may be.So if you have the patch and have been waiting for the ID I think in due time we will have the answer.Sorry but that is the best I can do at this time. Mort.

Patches, here goes the story. At the ASMIC show the Kellers had by the process of elimination and figuring out what the symbols ment on the patch what the unit "probably" is; but did not to my recollection say what it actually may be.So if you have the patch and have been waiting for the ID I think in due time we will have the answer.Sorry but that is the best I can do at this time. Mort.

Yo what's happening Mor-tay, thank's for the feedback.