(2) 1942 War bonds..Worth $75.00

1917enfield

I was out @ the local antique shop and come across this MINT condition War Bond. I left there with a pic of it but wanted to get more info from the pros what you thank.

photobucket-6644-1350238119873.jpg

CNY Militaria

Those are redeemable for approx $100 a piece FYI...I'd go buy them. Their interest grew for 40 years and can still be turned in. I can only see one number, but the other bond should be worth the same.

From the Gov't Savings Bond Calculator: Q109511106e E $25 12/1942 12/1982 $18.75 $81.20 $99.95

Question? How would I cash it in? I did not look on the back and the gal probably passed away. Would there need to be a signature on the back? O' I will go tomorrow and get it.

Looks to be impossible to cash in based on research:

http://www.ehow.com/...-war-bonds.html

Prove that you are the person listed as beneficiary on the bonds if they were inherited. If you are not the original owner of the bonds, you must prove that you are now the rightful owner of them. You may already be listed as a beneficiary on the bonds; if that is the case, you may need to provide identification for yourself and a death certificate of the deceased bond owner.

CNY Militaria

As far as collectibility, I see four in the ebay completed. Two from 1942 selling for over $160 each, and two more at just under $100 each. Either way it is a good buy.

CNY Militaria

After having just done some research, it looks like the value is all collectible here. The owner of the bond or direct descendent is the only one who can redeem it since its a contract between that person and the US Treasury.

After having just done some research, it looks like the value is all collectible here. The owner of the bond or direct descendent is the only one who can redeem it since its a contract between that person and the US Treasury.

This is absolutely true. My grandmother passed away in July and my mother is still dealing with the Feds to get some of those bonds settled for the estate. My grandmother's financial adviser had recommended that they be cashed years ago but I think there was a ton of sentimental value attached to them, so she ignored that advice.