WW1 posthumous Distinguished Service Cross

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Here is another recent acquisition, a WW! DSC posthumous award to Sgt Clarence C Dry with the original award document, DSC cardboard box with ribbons and the WW1 Victory Medal. The victory medal doesn't have any bars and I'm guessing that is because it was given to the family when the DSC was presented.

Here is Sgt Dry's citation:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross (Posthumously) to Sergeant Clarence C. Dry (ASN: 1461547), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company I, 140th Infantry Regiment, 35th Division, A.E.F., at Exermont, France, 28 September 1918. Volunteering to ascertain the location of an enemy machine-gun nest, Sergeant Dry walked into the open to draw its fire; and, when, he was about 50 yards from the hostile position, he was killed. His self-sacrificing act enabled his platoon to destroy the enemy nest.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders 70 (1919)

post-83-0-06838000-1350226445_thumb.jpg

Garth Thompson

Thanks for all the comments guys. I sold a nice WW1 DSC group a couple of years ago and always regretted it. This will be a keeper for awhile.

Garth

• 5 years later...

Guys, an old post from Garth. Here is more to the story of this superb DSC and award document. Garth initially bought Dry's medal from a collection I was handling for an estate. The collection held several US medals with Garth and Bruce buying many of them. One was Dry's DSC group. At the time I had no interest in collecting US medals so was happy to see this one go to Garth. At the time we knew Dry was born in Texas. Overtime Garth and Bruce wore me down convincing me to collect US medals. I was coming very late to the hobby so I decided to focus on medals from my home state Missouri.

The morning after Garth's memorial Bruce and I were discussing the way forward with his collection. I wanted to buy Dry's DSC even though not Missouri related. As it turns out and much to our surprise Dry (born in Texas) at some point moved to Kansas City enlisting in the Missouri NG 6th Infantry Regiment. The regiment upon mobilization became the 140th Infantry Rgt., 35th Division. I already planned to buy the medal but this certainly was a very pleasant surprise. I don't believe Garth knew Dry's Missouri connection or he would have undoubtedly teased me with Dry's medal. So I now have a long sought MO related DSC from my friend. Garth, a firm believer in karma, shows his spirit is alive and well.

Mike

Garth had great items in his US and German collection. Although we knew one another from the WAF, I got to know him a lot better when I began buying his German items when he was selling off that portion of his collection. A fine gentleman.

I am glad this DSC went to you, Mike.

Gary B

If I may add a thought, as you have noted a question on the Victory medal. Sgt Clarence C Dry was award the DSC on May 3 1919. He with 35th Div. which was awarded the three clasps St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne and Defensive Sector clasps all of which he would have been entitled to. The Victory medal itself was not available until 13 months after he was awarded the DSC on May 3, 1919, adding the President himself did not receive the very first Victory medal until February 1920. Also the ribbon on your illustrated victory medal can’t support three clasps.

My quest would be that the original victory was never applied for since the veteran himself was deceased and family did not request one. I say this because Victory medals with clasps were available for over 80 years after the war.

Very good points that certainly make sense. The thought was since the two medals came together from the first estate mentioned they were issued together. I can understand why not. Thanks for the insight.