#18 machete by Kinfolks converted for 101st Airborne

bryson152

Hello,

I have recently purchased a #18 machete by Kinfolks, which has a plexiglas and aluminium handle depicting a 101st Airborne eagle. It has a purpose made airborne scabbard.

Don Burgett 506th P.I.R. remembers this type of knife at Camp Mackall in 1942. The camp was occupied by the 506th and the 511th. He remembers seeing them on half the guys in HQs Company, 511th P.I.R. 11th Airborne. One of the members of that company had a relative making them in Mexico. He said they had all different eagle heads.

The original seller of the knife I have, was in London and was selling it as part of a group together with a 101st uniform. He split the group selling just the knife. I bought the knife off of the purchaser.

I know for certain that these knives were used in the 511th Regt., but does anyone know if members of the 506th put in some orders for knives at the same time?

Regards

Allan

post-208-1168613934.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here are two images. The first shows the knife handle along side an early 101st patch.

The second shows a member of H/501st in Normandy with a modified #18 machete and bespoke scabbard.

Regards

Allan

post-208-1169422237.jpg post-208-1169422270.jpg