Coast Guard Cross

JBFloyd

post-34986-0-42650400-1360045334.jpg

This the AF Combat Medal, curious, why the Red and Gold? why not the traditional colors of the Air Force ether the old Ultramarine Blue and Orange or the Newer Blue and Silver, these colors Red and Gold are the colors associated with the United States Marine Corps not the United States Air Force.

Not to get away from the original thread.I cannot find why the red & gold ribbon.It does look like a British ribbon tho.I did find that the ribbon and the planchet are made by two different companies.The designer's husband was a colonel, hmmm maybe thats why we have the eagle that looks like a colonels eagle?

I really don't think the CG Cross is all that bad looking.

This is from the Air Force press release:

"The medal is designed to evoke Air Force heritage, scarlet with diagonal yellow stripes - adapted from the art insignia on the aircraft of Gen. Billy Mitchell, who coordinated the first air-to-ground offensive in history. Further, the AFCAM features an eagle grasping arrows in one talon and an olive branch in the other, the arrows reflecting preparedness for war while the olive branch represents a goal of peace, according to official Air Force wear guidance."

Mark sends

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

First I must apologize for the late submission to this thread but I just discovered it tonight.

It's about time that the Coast Guard got their own cross. As previously discussed the CG's mission have changed since "my day" the risks of combat with an enemy combatant could be any time or any place.

To say the least about the award it is distinctive enough to stand on it's own. All the other service crosses are of different shapes and if you consider all the other nations crosses (VC,GC, MC, Iron Cross to name a few) the choice is limited. Using the shield as opposed to the crossed anchors and life ring separates it from the life saving missions normally attributed to the Coast Guard.

Since now it is recognized that the CG could be involved in combat separate from the Navy it could be in the future that there could be a Coast Guard Medal of Honor?

First I must apologize for the late submission to this thread but I just discovered it tonight.

It's about time that the Coast Guard got their own cross. As previously discussed the CG's mission have changed since "my day" the risks of combat with an enemy combatant could be any time or any place.

To say the least about the award it is distinctive enough to stand on it's own. All the other service crosses are of different shapes and if you consider all the other nations crosses (VC,GC, MC, Iron Cross to name a few) the choice is limited. Using the shield as opposed to the crossed anchors and life ring separates it from the life saving missions normally attributed to the Coast Guard.

Since now it is recognized that the CG could be involved in combat separate from the Navy it could be in the future that there could be a Coast Guard Medal of Honor?

All good points.But why not a Marine Corps Cross, Medal of Honor, Commendation, etc.?I know the Marines are a department of the Navy but still a separate branch of the service.

With the exception of the Army DSC, all of our second highest awards are poorly designed and unattractive.

W

I think the AF Cross is pretty sharp.

afc-3.gif

All good points.But why not a Marine Corps Cross, Medal of Honor, Commendation, etc.?I know the Marines are a department of the Navy but still a separate branch of the service.

They could but, Because the MC is under the Department of the Navy that's is where the resistance will be the greatest.

Regarding the Coast Guard Medal of Honor...

The Coast Guard Medal of Honor, which was distinguished from the Navy medal in 1963, has never been awarded and no design yet exists for it, partly because the U.S. Coast Guard is subsumed into the U.S. Navy in time of declared war. The only Coast Guard recipient to ever be awarded the Medal of Honor, Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro, was awarded the Navy version.

Regarding the Coast Guard Medal of Honor...

The Coast Guard Medal of Honor, which was distinguished from the Navy medal in 1963, has never been awarded and no design yet exists for it, partly because the U.S. Coast Guard is subsumed into the U.S. Navy in time of declared war. The only Coast Guard recipient to ever be awarded the Medal of Honor, Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro, was awarded the Navy version.

I dug a little deeper tonight and found this:

14 U.S. Code § 491 - Medal of honor
The President may award, and present in the name of Congress, a medal of honor of appropriate design, with ribbons and appurtenances, to a person who, while a member of the Coast Guard, distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty—
(1) while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;
(2) while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force;
(3) while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
Thanks, I had no idea that there is in fact a law in place for one.

I "understand" that there may be a preliminary design, but I haven't seen drawings / renderings / whatever for the Coast Guard Medal of Honor. Anyone have any ideas on what this MOH would look like?

Probably somewhat like the Air Force. A too large golden life ring, with Liberty in the center that looks nothing like the statue.

W

• 10 months later...

Thanks Paul for answer me, so this medal is like national intelligence distinguished service medal or similar, it's impossible find one of this medals for our collections.

• 4 months later...
jdamaso111

Also on the topic of coast guardsmen seeing combat while not attached to the navy, while i was deployed to kandahar there were two coast guard chiefs who were part of a RAID team for inspections for customs and border protection. They effectively anserwed to the DOD and not the navy. Me being in the army was attached to a US joint customs inspection team that was half navy half army as we were taking over for the navy. We worked seperate from the CG. This could be a prime example of how a coastie could be in a combat situation maybe at some OP or COP in the middle of nowhere that is attacked and given the chance to distinguish themselves.

• 6 months later...

Now that the Coast Guard is under the Department of Homeland Security you could say that anything the Coast Guard does now is outside of the Navy.