Show your Special Forces Flashes and Ovals

5thsfg542

Here is a modern green beret I picked up in a thrift store for $3 bucks. It is from the Special Operations Command Africa ( Army Element). This command has only been around since approx. 2008-2009. I think it is pretty cool. Thanks for looking, Chris

SANY0219-6.jpg

SANY0217-2.jpg

Interesting and misconstrued as a beret flash. These hallmarked 800 Trojan horse badges were awarded in the mid to late 60’s for NCO of the year and for good performance. They were made in Germany by the same jeweler as the early pin fastener backed coin silver 800 beret flashes in the 50’s. Take a look at the photo left the SPC5 wearing this badge on his left pocket Anymore information is welcomed. .

post-6144-0-78825300-1350235947.jpg

post-6144-0-09918700-1350236014.jpg

Interesting and misconstrued as a beret flash. These hallmarked 800 Trojan horse badges were awarded in the mid to late 60’s for NCO of the year and for good performance. They were made in Germany by the same jeweler as the early pin fastener backed coin silver 800 beret flashes in the 50’s. Take a look at the photo left the SPC5 wearing this badge on his left pocket Anymore information is welcomed. .

Back of Trojan Horse.

post-6144-0-13690000-1350236484.jpg

Thank you Jason for starting this thread !!! I'll post a few of mine. If anyone has any questions about these drop me a PM.

Starting off with flashes from the 1st Group. Backs on the right:

post-6138-0-21993100-1350236957.jpg

post-6138-0-95178400-1350236998.jpg

Shanghai Jack

Neat 7th group Vietnam handmade flash. Strange, 7th group was not deployed there. Im thinking a soldier from 7th had this made while assigned to 5th SFG (A). Any comments ?

In the early days (1961 -1964) many 1st SFG and 7th SFG A Detachments were TDY to Viet Nam for six month tours. Although not common, 1st SFG and 7th SFG flashes were made in Viet Nam.

7th Group was also the first unit in South Viet Nam to have a member earn a Medal of Honor, Captain Roger Donlon.

post-46900-0-55259000-1350236776.jpg

5th Group post-Vietnam War flashes. Backs on the right. Not sure about the authenticity of the 5th Group Strategic Reconnaissance (SR) team flash.

post-6138-0-58970100-1350237356.jpg

post-6138-0-91604500-1350237382.jpg

7th Group post-Vietnam War flashes. Several made in Panama and El Salvador. Backs on the right. The Company C, 7th Group soldier who wore the flash in the upper left hand corner had to tear it off his beret as he stood in formation because the CO spotted it and didn't like it being worn.

Jason, you wouldn't make any on your team rip those Saudi-made ovals off their class A's would you?

post-6138-0-18805700-1350237607.jpg

post-6138-0-29046000-1350237627.jpg

In the early days (1961 -1964) many 1st SFG and 7th SFG A Detachments were TDY to Viet Nam for six month tours. Although not common, 1st SFG and 7th SFG flashes were made in Viet Nam.

7th Group was also the first unit in South Viet Nam to have a member earn a Medal of Honor, Captain Roger Donlon.

Thanks I didnt even connect CPT Donlon even though I have talked to him before. Must be ADD..... Thanks great information.

7th Group post-Vietnam War flashes. Several made in Panama and El Salvador. Backs on the right. The Company C, 7th Group soldier who wore the flash in the upper left hand corner had to tear it off his beret as he stood in formation because the CO spotted it and didn't like it being worn.

Jason, you wouldn't make any on your team rip those Saudi-made ovals off there class A's would you?

man, great variations I would love to have some of these. I will scan my flashes soon.

Shanghai Jack

In the photograph below, top row center, is an early (1961) Vietnamese hand embroidered 1st SFG beret flash with crest.

Top row, second flash from the right, is not a Special Forces beret flash. It is a beret flash worn by a PRU unit which operated in Tay Ninh Province.

post-46900-0-07415100-1350238130.jpg

Jason, you wouldn't make any on your team rip those Saudi-made ovals off there class A's would you?

That 772 flash looks like one that my buddie Carlos had made while deployed. Really neat flash

And a couple of Vetnam-War era flashes. As above, backs on the right.

I would love to have that FEST flash with LTC rank. I have never seen one like it and its the real deal.

In the photograph below, top row center, is an early (1961) Vietnamese hand embroidered 1st SFG beret flash with crest.

Top row, second flash from the right, is not a Special Forces beret flash. It is a beret flash worn by a PRU unit which operated in Tay Ninh Province.

Exactly, on the PRU flash I just scanned it because of the Special Operations connection. I have had Ranger buddies who served in the PRU and also SF guys.

Look for an upcoming book, or series of books depending upon how it's published, on post-Vietnam War U.S. Army Special Forces insignia by noted collector, historian, great guy, and my and Jason's friend Gary Perkowski.

You're right Jason - both of the Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA)-722, Company B, 1st Battalion, 7th SFG(A) flashes came from 7th Grouper Carlos Jaramillo (retired). I believe the one on the far left in the scan above was made in Panama; the one on the far right made in El Salvador. Here's another variation, handmade in Panama, kind of ugly but that just adds to it's character.

post-6138-0-82678800-1350240808.jpg