What is your favorite Vet Organization item?

SARGE

What is your favorite Veteran Organization item? It does not have to be rare or expensive. It does not have to relate to a family member. It just has to be your current favorite child. I know... it is hard to pick out one over the others but give it a try anyway.

My current favorite is an identified United Confederate Veteran uniform. I have had this for a long time but I find it is still one of my favorites. The uniform, documentation, photographs, etc came from the family and I was able to research the original owner and even find a photograph with him wearing the uniform during WWI. The veteran fought in the West (in this area) with General Joe Shelby and was an unreconstructed rebel. He was a Trooper with Shelby's Old Brigade and followed him into Mexico at the end of the war rather than surrender. When he finally returned some dozen years later the area was still a bit too hot for him so he settled in Indian Territory (Oklahoma) where he joined the UCV. He rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel in the UCV organization and ran a Confederate Veteran Home in Oklahoma where he passed away and was given a UCV funeral.

Post your favorite items and tell us why they are meaningful.

UCV Lt Col uniform.JPG

UCV Lt. Col insignia.JPG

UCV Lt Col back.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's mine, posted on this forum before, but worth a re-posting. An Italian American World War Veterans ring, probably dating from the 1940s. It is marked "Robbins 10K".

Pete

post-5467-0-07630200-1351432229.jpg

What a neat veteran group ring! It is interesting that while it is from a WWI veteran group some of the iconography, such as the single wing aircraft, is from a later period. I think you are right on with your dating of the ring. What else can you share about this particular veteran group?

Thanks Sarge, I used to be a member of the Italian American War Veterans, which is what they are called now. For more info and to see more items from my collection, check out this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17861-italian-american-world-war-veterans/page__hl__%2Bitalian+%2Bamerican+%2Bworld+%2Bwar+%2Bveterans

Hope you like it!

Pete