USS Sibley?

Collector .45

Collector .45

Hello, I have been collecting for several years now and I have been trying to find a very particular item. A US Navy hat with the USS Sibley name on it. My great uncle served on the ship as one of the offices. His name was Lt. Hugh Wheeler. If anyone has anything regarding the ship, people or items from it I would greatly appreciate it. The like attached is the only info I have on the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sibley_(APA-206)

To add a little to that,

During WWII the hat ribbons were all US NAVY to avoid enemy agents identifying the movements of our ships, after the war the ship ribbons were not brought back....so all the hats you see with the ribbons are from ships in service before WWII.

As to hat ribbons, they were pre WW2. As to the USS Shipley, there was no ship of that name before 1944 well after the end of named hat talleys. Your Uncle as an officer would not have worn or been issued an item like this which actually never existed. Sorry if this comes across as harsh as i am in awe of the service of men like your great uncle.

BZ to all of the men like your Great uncle, John

vostoktrading

As stated before there would be no cap tallies available for this ship.

You could probably find a ball cap recently made for this ship. Just have to look online. They make these things for just about every ship there is. It's not vintage but nice anyway.

post-7885-0-22947500-1350358123.jpg