101st AB Pathfinder 1st SGT D-day jump suit

MattS

I found this at a local surplus store. It appears to be a heavily reworked SM Wholesale jump jacket and pants with added pockets, insignia, and a paint job. I think it will make an OK Halloween costume, any comments welcome!

post-32676-0-08589500-1350070208_thumb.jpg

1. In Normandy, the PFs wore no rank on the outside (I have been told).

2. No, they did not wear the wing that way. It went on Class A blouses (Service Dress until post-Bulge or later, then on Ikes).

I know little about the Pathfinders on D-Day, but I did get the feeling this guy went "over the top" on this outfit. Thanks for the reply!

If this had been based on a real guy (which I doubt), it could have been 1SG Charles R. Malley, F Co 506th who is in this photo somewhere:

Source: http://www.americandday.org/D-Day/Airborne_Division-Pathfinder-Plane_4.html

post-32676-0-23364300-1350088941.jpg

Johan Willaert

Might be based on the camoed 1Sgt jump jacket on display in the Vierville Omaha Beach museum...

That one came off a 377th PFA GI...

Corpsmancollector

Might be based on the camoed 1Sgt jump jacket on display in the Vierville Omaha Beach museum...

That one came off a 377th PFA GI...

That was my first thought Johan, very thick green and black hand painted camo. Though I cant remember whether that jacket has additional pockets on the back? I always thought it was a pathfinder jacket and was surprised to see it was 377th.

Will