Would this be a good M-1 helmet to paint?

rams2050

As some of you know I am looking for an M-1, fixed bail, front seam helmet to restore for display to honor my Dad's military service. I don't know enough, though, to determine whether this one is real or not. I'm not sure the bails swivel or are fixed. the helmet liner is in pretty rough shape.

Here is the URL: http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d5f055bf

What do you think? So far, the price is reasonable. . . for how long, though, is anyone's guess.

Ooh, I think I figured it out. The fixed bail is attached at two points; the swivel has a small rod threaded through an attachment of some kind. Is that correct?

How about this one? It's already been repaired, so adding an insignia and sergeants' stripes shouldn't be destroying anything that is original from the war, right? Plus, there is no liner so the price is right. I could add the chinstraps and have something worth displaying. Plus, I still have my first M-1 helmet which has not yet been tinkered with, and which I now plan to leave alone.

What do you think?

Thumb11954.jpg

Product52366.jpg

Product52365.jpg

Product52364.jpg

Product52362.jpg

Product52358.jpg

If I were you I'd go to somebody like J Murray helmets and have him do you the exact helmet you want. No messing around and you get a brand new reconditioned helmet painted just how you want it.

My 2 cents !

Rich

I have been in touch with Joshua, but since I'd already purchased the last helmet I was trying to save some money by perhaps doing the painting myself.

Maybe I will do what you have suggested, though.

Thanks.

My husband, who isn't even into this stuff, wants me to keep the helmet I bought originally. I think now "HE" likes it. Which does give me some latitude about buying the next helmet. Still, $300 for a refurbished, painted helmet (from J. Murray) is a bit much. . . even if it would be great to look at. If I spend that much it would have to be my sole Christmas present. I will have to give that some thought. . .

Screamingeagles101

I wouldn't. The liner and chinstraps are postwar. If your not collecting these and just getting one to honor your father, you shoul buy one that is comple with liner and chinstraps. You can get a nice complete fixed bail for $150-$200. May I ask what division/infantray your father was apart of ?

Screamingeagles101

Here a nice one that includes the liner. You don't even have to paint it. This is surprisingly cheap to. So far no bidders with 2 days left. If I were you I'd buy this, replace the broken bail, add chinstraps, and put a net over it, than put it on a shelf in your bedroom or room that you spend a lot of time in so you can admire it everyday and think of your father.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WW2-M1-HELMET-FIXED-BAIL-USMC-ESTATE-FIND-/261112405314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccb831d42

Hey, screamingeagles, you saw where I'd purchased a complete M-1 fixed bail, with liner, but it had some crude scratchings on it? I was advised here not to paint that one so I'm looking for another.

Are you certain this one is authentic? I don't remember mine having those rivets or whatever in the helmet. I'll have to run downstairs and look again. . .

My Dad was in the 69th infantry division. See his photo, in his helmet, under "Veterans Recollections" (I think that is the name of the forum). I started the thread and I wanted to know if anyone might recognize the place where the photo was taken.

See, the helmet photo in my post above has no rivets or whatever like are visible in the helmet in the link that you posted from ebay. I know very little about helmets, so I have to ask if these are both authentic? If so, why does the one have the rivets and the other doesn't have them?

Screamingeagles101

You mean rivits inside the liner right ? The rivets are ment for the leather band to hook on to. It holds the liner and shell in place and it make the helmet look nicer in my opinion. However the bnd on this is gone, so you can replace it if you want, it's not hard

Screamingeagles101

I'm not sure where you see rivits. But I can assure you it is a vintage early ww2 helmet. Most likely saw action

Oh, I see now. The rivets or whatever ARE in the liner. My mistake.

I will try to get this helmet. Thank you for the heads up!

Well, this one has a faked insignia on it but, of course, you want to do a repaint on it anyhow so, if you're looking to get yourself a representative piece to honor your fathers service and you're going to do the painting yourself, this one might provide the "canvas" you'll want for your artwork.

The color in the pic looks like the VN era color. Really looks like a reenactors helmet done up for the 5th rangers. Could not see the chin strap in the pics but if you could get it for under say 100 bucks then you can get the right shade and repaint it. Since its already redone you wont be destroying an in original condition helmet.

Mack

Also it is a schuleter and the cork on it looks good. Liner looks great also redone so a new paint job with a can a the right color from rapco or murray and you are good to go.

Mack