U.S.M.C. Chevrons

hhbooker2

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Perhaps they were just experimenting with different configurations right before they made the final decisions on how to reorganize the ranks or something...

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Also just a note, on Post 77 (The Master Gunnery Sergeant with TWO rockers) that chevron has been modified. It was at one time a regular MGySgt chevron with four rockers but someone took scissors and removed the lower two. You can tell by the thickness of the chevrons and rockers as on the current insignia for all E-9 ranks they are slightly narrower allowing the overall dimensions to be about the same as the E-8 ranks. Also since it has the cut edge this could be from 1959-1999. Thats about the time they Corps started using merrowed edges exclusively.

• 8 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I thought I would show a couple of shots showing some of the different sizes on the seem to seem chevrons. Two Sergeant Major's and a Gunnery Sergeant:

SgtMaddoxUSMC

The first image is all three side by side. A standard SgtMaj (fairly common) seem-to-seem chevron (8 inches across by 8 inches high), a SgtMaj with the applied rockers and angled chevrons (9.5 inches at it's widest point by 7.5 inches high) and a seem-to-seem Gunnery Sergeant (10 inches across and 7.5 inches high).
post-133515-0-23454300-1446681337.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

recently got this surprise in a large group of chevrons.. it is a current style SgtMaj chevron but I have never seen one like this before.. The star in the center is smaller that normal and also the stripes are all 1/2" wide as you would find on chevrons up to E-8.. Normally for E-9 chevrons, the stripes reduce to 3/8" in width as to maintain the same overall dimensions on the chevron. Anyone ever seen this before?

post-133515-0-08065800-1485920816_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

here is a photo for comparison.. You can see how the stripes on the NORMAL SgtMaj's reduce down to 3/8" from the E-8's 1/2" stripes as to maintain the same overall height and width of the rank itself. Then on my oddball SgtMaj, the stripes retain their 1/2" width and make the overall chevron about a half inch longer:
post-133515-0-23764100-1485967379_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I have a question for all you chevron gurus... I have seen these style chevrons pretty often and have always written them off as bad repros due to the backing material, huge gaps between stripes, and the overall construction. I've also never seen any photos of these particular chevrons being worn. These photos (from a current ebay auction) show the chevrons with attached Wosk tags and I just can't decide what to make of them... Anyone have any input? Even with the tags, they just don't sit right with me..

post-133515-0-43443700-1486700072_thumb.jpg

I have a question for all you chevron gurus... I have seen these style chevrons pretty often and have always written them off as bad repros due to the backing material, huge gaps between stripes, and the overall construction. I've also never seen any photos of these particular chevrons being worn. These photos (from a current ebay auction) show the chevrons with attached Wosk tags and I just can't decide what to make of them... Anyone have any input? Even with the tags, they just don't sit right with me..

attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

They just look like a manufacturers variation to me. I have seen photos of USMC Technical Sergeants before, but really don't remember if they were in blues or khaki uniforms. Seems like a lot of these made with bullion stripes are not letter perfect. Just my opinion.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Have you ever seen any photos from the period of Marines wearing their dress uniform which show chevrons with gaps that big between the stripes though?

SgtMaddoxUSMC

And what bullion stripes are you talking about? I have never seen any USMC ranks made with bullion other than the custom Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps chevrons which I have on my display.

And what bullion stripes are you talking about? I have never seen any USMC ranks made with bullion other than the custom Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps chevrons which I have on my display.

I thought the big seam to seam chevrons made for blues had bullion stripes. They don't appear to be cotton cloth. Maybe I'm mistaken on those. As to the spacing not being evenly, I must have been thinking of WWI era Army chevrons.

Don't recall seeing any Marines with the stripes you describe. Again, I must have been thinking of Army chevrons from back then.

Sorry for the confusion. That can happen when ya get old.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here are some photos I just took of a SSgt chevron which we know is authentic next to a (repro?) chevron. I honestly think someone just attached some Wosk tags to the ones in the auction photos above to make people think they are period.
Here are some measurement comparisons, authentic on the left, probable fake on the right:

Stripe width:
Just over 7/16" VS just under 3/8"

Spacing between stripes:
1/8" VS 5/16"

Also, the second stripes seem to have a little bit of stuffing inside the stripes giving them a slight rounded or bulged appearance. It could also just be the lace used on these pieces. One of these days. I will dissect one and see what's inside.

The ranks in these photos are actual size:

post-133515-0-15671100-1487368796_thumb.jpg