U.S.M.C. Chevrons

hhbooker2

Here's another set of 20s-30s (40s?) hash marks. These have been sewn on a uniform and show some signs of wear but are still in pretty goos shape.

post-1107-1206804622.jpg

Another pair of 20s or latewr hash marks; this pair form an "old Cprps" NCO who had been around a while. They look to be almost new.

post-1107-1206804826.jpg

This pair is a little different. They are seam-to-seam hash marks for the dress blue blouse but, the individual hash marks are not angled to form an even vertical line when sewn on. I've never seen a pair made this way before.

post-1107-1206805030.jpg

Here are a pair of Quartermaster seam-to-seam chevrons. They appear to have never been on a uniform. They look to be good but the guy I got them from several years ago also sold me a replica EGA as a legitimate and original 1920s item. That makes me a bit suspect of them, even though they do look original. Anyway.....here they are.

post-1107-1206803870.jpg

Bill-

I feel quite confident your QM SGT chevrons are original. Large original stocks of this particular rank were all over the place when I first started collecting back in the '60's (and for many years after that). They were really cheap back then and even today are reasonably priced. The SGT Major chevrons were also available (but not quite as common). You never saw the large size USMC chevrons (even back then) with the different "devices" (except for the 1st Sgt diamond), so they apparently weren't part of the surplus "hoard" that existed. That would explain why those other ranks are so tough to find today (and are so expensive).

Kurt

SEMPER FI! thumbsup.gif

Sarge,

Thanks for sharing these great images and helping us all to learn about these chevrons. Please do the ol' moderator a favor though and cite your sources whether you are the original owner of the subject of a particular photograph or not. That way board management can avoid any copyright issues thumbsup.gif

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

Chris

Brig, your 1910 PFC chevrons look more like Corporals. In That time frame the PFC would have worn crossed rifles as an insignia of grade.

Sarge,

Thanks for sharing these great images and helping us all to learn about these chevrons. Please do the ol' moderator a favor though and cite your sources whether you are the original owner of the subject of a particular photograph or not. That way board management can avoid any copyright issues thumbsup.gif

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

Chris

CHRIS: I am fully aware of copyright and have even taken time to read what it really spells out, for instance, in a unit decides to have their own unit patches made, that can be copyrighted, however thousands of patches made for the government are public domain unless a patch is altered and looks different from standard issue, yes? Disney I avoid as they keep their copyrights from 1928 to present fresh and up-to-date. It is my understanding that most publications from the United States Government Printing Office are public domain, correct me if I am in error? I sell nothing, sold nothing, often I buy on eBay and scan or photograph the item and other give it back as a gift to the seller to re-list, sell, and keep the extra profits or I send it to the first collector who writes and asks for it and I even pay postage! eBay sellers who do not want their images taken have a way of preventing that from happening, most are there to get needed extra money, maybe to pay higher gasoline or fuel oil prices? Either someone shared their photos and I published "CROW'S NEST" newsletter for 13 issues, almost 400-pages, paid for the printing and postage myself and peo0ple sent me pictures of their chevrons (USMC) and rates (USCG, USN, USMS, PHS, USC&GS, etc.) I gave not one set of bound issues, but two sets to ASMIC Library. I've given away more than 350 CD disks of insignia, etc., no less than four eBay sellers sell duplicates of those CDs and I do not take a cent. Anyone can download and use my 6,000+ images on webshot's photo albums. I know of one website set up using my stuff and they have it freely from me and I wish them success. Sometimes I'll clean up a picture and give it to the person who took the pictures, but you can see those two chevrons had the others remooved the they were also straighten and submitted, but I'll be most willing to let you know, Chris! I am on borrowed time and would like to do whatever I can for others while I can so. "What is mine is their's too!" :) Sarge Booker of Tujunga, CA

Brig, your 1910 PFC chevrons look more like Corporals. In That time frame the PFC would have worn crossed rifles as an insignia of grade.

oh, duh, yeah, neglected to realize they had two stripes :blink::lol:pinch.gif

CHRIS: I am fully aware of copyright and have even taken time to read what it really spells out, for instance, in a unit decides to have their own unit patches made, that can be copyrighted, however thousands of patches made for the government are public domain unless a patch is altered and looks different from standard issue, yes? Disney I avoid as they keep their copyrights from 1928 to present fresh and up-to-date. It is my understanding that most publications from the United States Government Printing Office are public domain, correct me if I am in error? I sell nothing, sold nothing, often I buy on eBay and scan or photograph the item and other give it back as a gift to the seller to re-list, sell, and keep the extra profits or I send it to the first collector who writes and asks for it and I even pay postage! eBay sellers who do not want their images taken have a way of preventing that from happening, most are there to get needed extra money, maybe to pay higher gasoline or fuel oil prices? Either someone shared their photos and I published "CROW'S NEST" newsletter for 13 issues, almost 400-pages, paid for the printing and postage myself and peo0ple sent me pictures of their chevrons (USMC) and rates (USCG, USN, USMS, PHS, USC&GS, etc.) I gave not one set of bound issues, but two sets to ASMIC Library. I've given away more than 350 CD disks of insignia, etc., no less than four eBay sellers sell duplicates of those CDs and I do not take a cent. Anyone can download and use my 6,000+ images on webshot's photo albums. I know of one website set up using my stuff and they have it freely from me and I wish them success. Sometimes I'll clean up a picture and give it to the person who took the pictures, but you can see those two chevrons had the others remooved the they were also straighten and submitted, but I'll be most willing to let you know, Chris! I am on borrowed time and would like to do whatever I can for others while I can so. "What is mine is their's too!" :) Sarge Booker of Tujunga, CA

Sarge,

Thanks! You are a credit to the hobby and this board!

Chris

Sarge,

Thanks! You are a credit to the hobby and this board!

Chris

CHRIS: Thanks, its up to us to promote the hobby and encourage beginners to take up the torch so they can carry on and take our places as caretakers to pass on. We own nothing, we are guardians only! thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker

post-837-1207023057.jpg

• 9 months later...
usmc-collector

usmc womens chevrons,

top row - cut edge late 50s - early 90s

center row - reinforced edge - current and some cut edge late 50s - early 90s

bottom row - cut edge early 50s and musician middle 60s

JAROSLAV

post-31-1233011532.jpg

usmc-collector

usmc womens chevrons,

top row - WW2 - late 50s for summer uniform

center row - cut edge late 50s - late 70s for summer uniform

bottom row 1 - late 50s - late 70s for green shirtwaist (worn prior khaki shirts with green service uniform)

bottom row 2 - late 70s - present for khaki shirts

post-31-1233012079.jpg

• 3 months later...