US Observer Wings By Firmin Of London

VE45

Hello all, I am posting my US Observer Wings By Firmin Of London for review. They are currently listed in the sales section. http://www.usmilitar...rmin-of-london/

A member contacted me today and stated that in his opinion the wings are modern copies. These wings were in a large grouping from the estate of WWII Vet who was an Observer with the 8th AAF stationed in England during the war. They are unworn and in mint condition. Any and all opinions are welcome. Jay

post-11865-0-97605100-1350000743_thumb.jpg

Wingcommander

They actually look like a Firmin should.....BUT they also appear to be electro plated or rhodium plated. There has also been a hole pre-drilled for the affixing of a centre device. IMO the wing is unfinished

I accept that it might be due to the effects of the flash, but I'm bound to say the silvered finish looks quite unlike any of the British wings I have in my collection. Most British-made wings were plated brass or "white metal"...rarely if ever Sterling. Their pins are often brass too. The hole in the centre of this wing is to attach another device eg, an aircrewman's. Observer wings were frequently converted in this manner. Jury's out on this one!

I accept that it might be due to the effects of the flash, but I'm bound to say the silvered finish looks quite unlike any of the British wings I have in my collection. Most British-made wings were plated brass or "white metal"...rarely if ever Sterling. Their pins are often brass too. The hole in the centre of this wing is to attach another device eg, an aircrewman's. Observer wings were frequently converted in this manner. Jury's out on this one!

While rhodium plate was available during WWII, it was rather expensive and does not appear to have been all too popular based on the lack of wings that you see with this type of finish. Your wing appears to be an original, but the hole that is drilled in the center of the field makes me believe that this wing was once an air crew (where they often used a US Army button for the eagle) wing or perhaps an aerial gunner wing where the riveted device has fallen off.

Honestly, I seriously doubt that a wing collector is going to want to look past that hole in the center of the wing enough to want to acquire the piece for their collection, but it does appear to be an original WWII vintage Firmin wing.

Allan

Hi some better photos taken outside in natural light with a dark background would be helpful IMHO. Additionally some macro shots if you camera has that function would be good as well. Ian's comments on typical British wings is spot on... As for the rhodium plate I do have one example of a wing like that so I know that was an option at the time.

Cheers

John

Hi John, here are the photos you suggested I post. Sorry for the poor quality. Still trying to learn how to use my new camera. Jay

post-11865-0-15006200-1350760441_thumb.jpg