WWII USN DFC group to pilot who helped sink the Bismarck

That's a remarkable story and a beautiful grouping. Thanks for taking the time to post all!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Kurt, I think this is one of my favorites that you have posted! Of course, if I go back through your old posts, I'm sure that I will find at least 10-20 other favorites!

Until this thread, I didn't know that the US Navy had any part in the search for the Bismark. All of the documentaries and books that I have seen or read only focus on the England's role to sink her. Thanks for the education!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Kurt, I think this is one of my favorites that you have posted! Of course, if I go back through your old posts, I'm sure that I will find at least 10-20 other favorites!

Until this thread, I didn't know that the US Navy had any part in the search for the Bismark. All of the documentaries and books that I have seen or read only focus on the England's role to sink her. Thanks for the education!

Let's not get carried away here Beast! Shades of U-571 here! ;)The Royal Navy sank the Bismark. It was a British operation. Kurt's guy just happened to be there due to a particular set of circumstances. That's not to belittle his part in it, but the Bismark was sunk in May 1941...America wasn't even officially in war then.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Thanks for the comments and feedback!

The person I bought this from first had the logbooks, and then found another dealer that had the rest of the material and reunited it all. In my opinion, the logbook really sets this group apart.

There were other US Navy Pilots who also were serving as " special observers" with 209 squadron, but as you can see, they did more than just observe,

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

He only flew PBY's in combat with the British. He flew them until 1944 when he transitioned to the 4 engine PB4Y.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

Me jealous?.....Hell Yeah...all kidding aside what a great grouping. Thanks for sharing

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif

Kurt one of the most historical groups seen on this forum in some time. Truly amazing!

donation2012.gif

Always looking for quality WWI and WWII USMC items. Particularly 4th Marine Brigade related items, medals, uniforms helmets ephemera, Also WWII USMC items including uniforms, medals, etc. to combat veterans especially Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima. Let me know what you have. Semper Fi

• 3 months later...

Thanks Guys!

Here is the DFC citation. The British didnt give him anything for his Bismarck mission.

rinehartDFC2.JPG

!!!! WANTED !!!!

Wow what a group it is slightly suprising that the brits didnt give him an award but they dont give very many awards to anybody . However as he played a important role in the sinking of the bismark i would think a MID would be appropriate . As an aside i have a personal love for all things bismark and own several grouping pertaining to the chase and sinking and this is one of the nicest and rarest grouping relating to the persuit that i have seen.

thanks for sharing Kurt.

LT DAVID SMITH
Prince george fire rescue
Always looking to buy

Canadian special service medals German WW2 wound badges and wound medals/badges from every other nation

donation2013.gif

• 3 months later...

Bringing this one back up since the 72nd anniversary of the battle is around the corner.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Very nice grouping, the hunt for the Bismarck is very fascinating. The British really had it in for it after the loss of HMS Hood.

Wanted - WW2 Medals, Uniforms or Groupings to the 82nd Airborne Div

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Time to bring this back up.

!!!! WANTED !!!!