WWII USN DFC group to pilot who helped sink the Bismarck

KASTAUFFER

Wonderful group! The Bismark connection is amazing and I love the per-war photo album. Thanks for posting everything.

Dick

Kurt, I think this is one of my favorites that you have posted! Of course, if I go back through your old posts, I'm sure that I will find at least 10-20 other favorites!

Until this thread, I didn't know that the US Navy had any part in the search for the Bismark. All of the documentaries and books that I have seen or read only focus on the England's role to sink her. Thanks for the education!

Kurt, I think this is one of my favorites that you have posted! Of course, if I go back through your old posts, I'm sure that I will find at least 10-20 other favorites!

Until this thread, I didn't know that the US Navy had any part in the search for the Bismark. All of the documentaries and books that I have seen or read only focus on the England's role to sink her. Thanks for the education!

Let's not get carried away here Beast! Shades of U-571 here! ;)The Royal Navy sank the Bismark. It was a British operation. Kurt's guy just happened to be there due to a particular set of circumstances. That's not to belittle his part in it, but the Bismark was sunk in May 1941...America wasn't even officially in war then.

Thanks for the comments and feedback!

The person I bought this from first had the logbooks, and then found another dealer that had the rest of the material and reunited it all. In my opinion, the logbook really sets this group apart.

There were other US Navy Pilots who also were serving as " special observers" with 209 squadron, but as you can see, they did more than just observe,

Kurt

He only flew PBY's in combat with the British. He flew them until 1944 when he transitioned to the 4 engine PB4Y.

Kurt

• 3 months later...

Thanks Guys!

Here is the DFC citation. The British didnt give him anything for his Bismarck mission.

rinehartDFC2.JPG

Wow what a group it is slightly suprising that the brits didnt give him an award but they dont give very many awards to anybody . However as he played a important role in the sinking of the bismark i would think a MID would be appropriate . As an aside i have a personal love for all things bismark and own several grouping pertaining to the chase and sinking and this is one of the nicest and rarest grouping relating to the persuit that i have seen.

thanks for sharing Kurt.

Johnny Signor

LOVE that original color sketch of VPB-119 Old Crows emblem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In one of the photos there's a pilot/crewman wearing a leather jacket with the Old crows" patch on it .

Johnny

• 3 months later...
RustyCanteen

Bringing this one back up since the 72nd anniversary of the battle is around the corner.

Great grouping Kurt. That fits perfectly well with my VPB-118 grouping with the painted VPB-118 squadron patch on the back of the flight suit.

Very nice grouping, the hunt for the Bismarck is very fascinating. The British really had it in for it after the loss of HMS Hood.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...