Stenciled Shell

wildcat123

Do you guys have any insight on who would have used this type of stenciled, named helmet? The shell and liner were similarly marked. Thanks for your help.

Tyler

post-1095-1203030380.jpg

post-1095-1203030395.jpg

Did you get this one also????Between this and the 30th division grouping you are really beating the hell out of me!LOL I thougth I had this one...I need your speed!!! thumbsup.gif

Did you get this one also????Between this and the 30th division grouping you are really beating the hell out of me!LOL I thougth I had this one...I need your speed!!! thumbsup.gif

LOL, don't worry. I'm in deep doo doo over this one, I won't be buying for awhile...

The Navy were pretty much the only ones who stenciled helmets.

But the helmets were almost always marked for duty station (gun station) or the division (REPAIR DAMAGE CONTROL, etc.). Sailors did not have their own helmets.

The exceptions would be certain officers and a ship might often have a helmet marked CAPTAIN or XO, or other such titles.

I suspect this one belonged to an officer who put just his name on it, no rank, so that he didn't need to have it repainted when he got promoted.

I did find on ancestry.com a possible candidate:

Cedric E Dunn from Pennsylvania who was a Lt. Commander in WWII. Her served as a Medical Officer with the Sea Bees which makes him sound like a real good candidate for having an OD helmet like this. The Sea Bees, unlike shipboard sailors, would have each had their own helmet and because of their land-based activities would likely have worn the OD helmets.

Cedric E. Dunn, M.D. HU 1936, of Beaver Falls, died September 2, 2002 in his home. Dr. Dunn moved to Beaver Falls in 1924 when

his father started the Beaver Falls Paint & Glass Company. He graduated from Beaver Falls High School, Class of 1929, attended Geneva

College from 1932 until 1935 in the premedical education program and graduated in 1936 from Hahnemann Medical College,

Philadelphia. He interned at Shadyside Hospital, Pittsburgh, from 1936 until 1937 and began his general practice of medicine in Beaver

Falls in 1937. He served as a Medical Officer for a Sea Bee Battalion, served in the South Pacific and returned to the States in 1945. He

was accepted as a member of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and delivered over 14,000 babies at the former

provenance Hospital and Beaver Valley General Hospital until his retirement in 1977. He was President of Staff at both hospitals. Dr. Dunn

had retired to Ft. Myers and, after a few years of retirement, he and other retired physicians started a charity geriatric clinic in Ft. Myers

I looked at the lot on the website it was purchased from and saw the naming on the Bronze Star. It is official WWII US Army slant hand engraving . Unless the recipient was a US Navy vet awarded the Bronze Star by the US Army , it is probably a US Army helmet.

The name on the Bronze Star is Charles F. Dunn . ( not E. ) . It all depends on which one is named right... the medal or the helmet. I have seen naming errors on officially engraved medals . I doubt they are from 2 different family members.

Kurt

MVC_md558S.jpg

Here are all the US Army Enlisted men by this name on the NARA AAD website. It could be any number of them.

11149495 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## Undefined Code Undefined Code FT PREBLE PORTLAND MAINE 46 Enlisted Man, Regular Army, after 3 months of Discharge 27

16082114 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## OHIO STARK DETROIT MICHIGAN 42 Civil Life 16

31001810 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## MASSACHUSETTS BERKSHIRE RUTLAND VERMONT 41 Civil Life 14

31501489 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## CONNECTICUT HARTFORD FT MONMOUTH RED BANK NEW JERSEY 46 Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC 27

32458538 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## NEW JERSEY ESSEX NEWARK NEW JERSEY 42 Civil Life 20

32800702 DUNN#CHARLES#F#JR####### NEW YORK NEW YORK NEW YORK CITY NEW YORK 43 Civil Life 24

34188998 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## TENNESSEE HICKMAN FT OGLETHORPE GEORGIA 42 Civil Life 18

36380109 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## ILLINOIS LAKE CHICAGO ILLINOIS 42 Civil Life 99

38038722 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## TEXAS ERATH DALLAS TEXAS 41 Civil Life 18

39415689 DUNN#CHARLES#F########## CALIFORNIA, LIMITED SERVICE or PANAMA CANAL SAN JOAQUIN SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA 43 Civil Life 08

Here are all the Charles E. Dunns :

14001770 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## MISSISSIPPI HINDS JACKSON MISSISSIPPI 40 Civil Life 11

14053967 DUNN#CHARLES#E#JR####### MISSISSIPPI PONTOTOC JACKSON MISSISSIPPI 41 Civil Life 22

14123522 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## NORTH CAROLINA BUNCOMBE FT JACKSON COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA 42 Civil Life 24

15087504 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## KENTUCKY KENTON FT THOMAS NEWPORT KENTUCKY 42 Civil Life 14

19014453 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## OREGON BAKER VANCOUVER BARRACKS WASHINGTON 40 Civil Life 21

20740601 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## Undefined Code Undefined Code Undefined Code 40 National Guard 19

31421086 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## MASSACHUSETTS ESSEX BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS 43 Civil Life 15

33294950 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## PENNSYLVANIA WESTMORELAND GREENSBURG PENNSYLVANIA 42 Civil Life 17

33550961 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## Undefined Code Undefined Code BALTIMORE MARYLAND 43 Civil Life 22

33623714 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## Undefined Code Undefined Code ALLENTOWN PENNSYLVANIA 43 Civil Life 16

34917039 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## FLORIDA HERNANDO FT MCCLELLAN ALABAMA 43 Civil Life 14

35043354 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## KENTUCKY JEFFERSON FT BENJAMIN HARRISON INDIANA 42 Civil Life 12

35473622 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## KENTUCKY BREATHITT LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY 46 Undefined Code 21

35483067 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## INDIANA CLARK LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY 42 Civil Life 21

35785132 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## WEST VIRGINIA BARBOUR HUNTINGTON WEST VIRGINIA 44 Civil Life 26

36014707 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## ILLINOIS WILLIAMSON CHICAGO ILLINOIS 41 Civil Life 19

36327611 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## ILLINOIS KANE CLEVELAND OHIO 45 Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC 20

37725485 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## KANSAS SEDGWICK FT LEAVENWORTH KANSAS 43 Civil Life 17

39154984 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## CALIFORNIA ORANGE LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA 41 Civil Life 14

42075744 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## NEW YORK KINGS CP UPTON YAPHANK NEW YORK 44 Civil Life 15

43059151 DUNN#CHARLES#E########## VIRGINIA WASHINGTON FT KNOX KENTUCKY 46 Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC 28

38652579 DUNN#CHARLES#E#L#JR##V## LOUISIANA CADDO CP BEAUREGARD LOUISIANA 44 Civil Life 21

I looked at the lot on the website it was purchaed from and saw the naming on the Bronze Star. It is official WWII US Army slant hand engraving . Unless the recipient was awarded the Bronze Star by the US Army , it is probably a US Army helmet.

Kurt

Where in the Army would they have used a helmet marke like that?

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there may be a ASN written in the helmet when it arrives. Otherwise, I can probably narrow it down to New Englanders. Would it be safe to say that it would have been an early (41 or 42) draftee or enlistment to have a Hawley and fixed bail with their name stenciled on it? I wonder if they continued to use Hawley's stateside after they were deemed inadequate...

Where in the Army would they have used a helmet marke like that?

Im not a helmet collector so I can't tell you that. I am only following the clues based on my knowledge of US medals. I have only seen a very very few officially named US Army Bronze Star medals to USN recipients. They are super scarce, a lot more scarce than an M-1 helmet .

Its possible the medal was awarded to a USN recipient, but based on how common that name is, unless some original piece of paper or other items shows up tying it a specific person without a doubt , I dont think we will ever know whose medal and helmet this belonged to.

unless some original piece of paper or other items shows up tying it a specific person without a doubt , I dont think we will ever know whose medal and helmet this belonged to.

That's for sure.