1902 - 1920s Denim Chevrons

hhbooker2

As far as a I can tell, the Coast Artillery Corps wore denim chevrons with red chain-stitching somewhere between 1902 and the 1920s, maybe into the 1930s too? Anyone know when they were used? Thanks! think.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga. California 91042-2731 ( [email protected] ) These are for Lance Corporal (or Private First Class?), Corporal, and Sergeant.

post-837-1203027585.jpg

post-837-1203027770.jpg

post-837-1203027788.jpg

Sergeant First Class was the title for this C.A.C. red chain-stitched on denim chevrons with one arc, not two like today's S.F.C., I am told? :rolleyes:

post-837-1203027892.jpg

Engineer C.A.C. red chain-stitched governor, star, and wreath on denim. thumbsup.gif Ordnance Sergeant denim patch of denim with a red chain-stitched red bursting shell inside SFC chevrons, was it C.A.C.? pinch.gif

post-837-1203028110.jpg

post-837-1203028259.jpg

As far as a I can tell, the Coast Artillery Corps wore denim chevrons with red chain-stitching somewhere between 1902 and the 1920s, maybe into the 1930s too? Anyone know when they were used? Thanks! think.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga. California 91042-2731 ( [email protected] ) These are for Lance Corporal (or Private First Class?), Corporal, and Sergeant.

I believe that the demin fatigues kicked in 1911 and were in use during WWII. I had always noticed that if you look at the earlier demin ratings and chevrons that you will observe olive drab medium. The three ranks here you can clearly see white thread as a medium. My thoughs are that the Phil. QM Depot had iniated the development of the demin chevrons and did them in house. Most likely during WWI the QMC had more important things to do like supply troops overseas and probably contracted companies like Lee or Levis to manufacture the demin fatigue jumpers and chevrons using commerical grade materials. You'll also notice a difference in the chain stitch cord used primarily the gerth and the flat nature of the product. The earlier chain stitch had the appearance of the chain stitch cord used in the 1902 pattern chevrons but a little more heavy duty. Your Gun Commander was used by the Coast Artillery Corps.

Was not aware 1911 was the first cut-off date for denim that were later restored in the Second World War. Chief of Planting Section shown below. ;) Sarge Booker

post-837-1203305548.jpg