1902 Chevrons

hhbooker2

Both of these chevrons are good.

Aloha, John: Here is a Master Electrician. Yes, those last two chevrons looked good, must never have been worn? think.gif

post-837-1203365025.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add a comment here regarding what Sarge said about reproduction pre-1902 chevrons. Most of those are consumed by reenactors. I've been involved with military reenacting the period 1860 thru about 1875 for many years and have bought many chevrons for this time period for use in different impressions. The "Civil War" chevrons are pretty easy to reproduce except very few of the reproductions of this time periods regimental chevrons are made correctly. All Sergeant Major, Regimental Quartermaster, Hospital Steward and Ordnance Sergeants chevrons should be made with silk bars. Most reproductions of these will be made with cotton bars instead.

The chevrons that came out in 1872 or the "Johnson" pattern style are they are sometimes known, use a chain stitch to simulate seperating on the cloth to create the individual stripes. This takes a special sewing machine that can create this style chain stitch, thereby making those reproductions a bit harder to make. The gold lace chevrons made for the full dress uniforms are even being reproduced, but I understand that most are special order and fairly expensive.

Once again, Sarge has scored a hit with more neat chevrons shown.

I'd like to add a comment here regarding what Sarge said about reproduction pre-1902 chevrons. Most of those are consumed by reenactors. I've been involved with military reenacting the period 1860 thru about 1875 for many years and have bought many chevrons for this time period for use in different impressions. The "Civil War" chevrons are pretty easy to reproduce except very few of the reproductions of this time periods regimental chevrons are made correctly. All Sergeant Major, Regimental Quartermaster, Hospital Steward and Ordnance Sergeants chevrons should be made with silk bars. Most reproductions of these will be made with cotton bars instead.

The chevrons that came out in 1872 or the "Johnson" pattern style are they are sometimes known, use a chain stitch to simulate seperating on the cloth to create the individual stripes. This takes a special sewing machine that can create this style chain stitch, thereby making those reproductions a bit harder to make. The gold lace chevrons made for the full dress uniforms are even being reproduced, but I understand that most are special order and fairly expensive.

Once again, Sarge has scored a hit with more neat chevrons shown.

LEE: Thank you for your kind words, here is another commissary sergeant chevrons, moth eatten, of course! I did see some of those chain-stitched chevrons at a gun shop in Van Nuys (California), but they seemed to be priced almost as much as originals? Silk bars would be tough as they came in patterns that are unlike anything today, sprt of like the gold lace worn by various British regiments, each is vastly different in pattern. I had a set of WW1 style chevrons that someone wanted me to send them, not sure, but thought they were not original, so I kept them rather than release them on an unsuspecting public. Thankfully the re-enactors are using up those chevrons. Would really like to see some colour pictures of the chevrons worn by Indian Scouts, especially 1902 chevrons that were white with red edges! Heard they only had them for Corporal, Sergeant, and First Sergeant? ;) Sarge Booker

post-837-1205950528.jpg