Sign in to follow this  
Bob Hudson

RIA M1 carbine cleaning kit

This came in a box of items from an estate sale: I assume it is an M1 carbine cleaning kit?

It has an RIA stamp inside the flap, but in looking around the forum and Google I cannot find any reference to an RIA M1 cleaning kit. The look of the canvas seems early war. Any ideas?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Looks early war to me, is the belt hook brass?

Most of the cleaning rod cases I am familiar with have the drawing number ink stamped on the back, and I don't recall seeing an RIA made one before.

I guess the handle is without markings?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Sure I have seen something similar - is it from the M1903 Springfield perhaps?

Can dig out the reference books tomorrow if nobody else can find the answer - the hour is a little late or I would look now !

I don't think the M1903 springfield kits ever included the shorter rod section pictured with the brush.

The earlier WWI era rod cases were made by RIA, but I have never seen a WWII era one from them.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I don't think the M1903 springfield kits ever included the shorter rod section pictured with the brush.

The earlier WWI era rod cases were made by RIA, but I have never seen a WWII era one from them.

This came in a large ammo box with other cleaning parts including this rod set - could it have gone with the pouch?

5.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

This came in a large ammo box with other cleaning parts including this rod set - could it have gone with the pouch?

5.jpg

Maybe, I think the tip of at least one of the sections is removable (I can see the joint on the lower rod), so that would be three sections. I'll have to check if they were supposed to have 3 or 4 sections, I think 3 total including the handle.

Is the rod diameter the same or very close to the other rod set? I can't tell if it's a .30 or .50 rod set, if .50 it should be noticeably larger in diameter than the other rod.

I think the case was the same for the .30 & .50 rods, it was kind of a universal pouch; though late in the war I think they had a dedicated carbine pouch vs. the rifle sets.

It looks like you have the earlier WWII case, at some point during WWII they altered the case and it went from C6573 to C6573A. The only two things that I can think of are the pockets on the front (I know the changed it from two pockets to one) and the edging, I think the change was really in the reduction of pockets though.

I believe the last rod you posted is an M3, is there anything (like numbers) cast into the other side of the handle?

Here is one I have in my collection -

M1cleaningkitback-earlystyleTypeB.jpg

M1cleaningkitfront.jpg

As I understand, this example is WWII era and is an early style Type B cleaning kit for the M1 carbine. Not sure if the kit contains all the correct parts or not. If anyone can shed light on this question the answer would be much appreciated.

Tim

donation2013.gif

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.