My little dioramas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Awesome!!!! I know Tom as a guy who puts a great attention to details. He makes dioramas but also a full scale replicas of WW2 guns and equipment. His replicas are as good as his models. ;)

The photo shows Tom with his Browning 1919A4 full metal replica, perfect in every detail.

post-2167-1228592470.jpg

What do you think of it that small diorams with M8 Greyhound. This is model 1/35 Italeri .

Tom .
This is awesome! Little bit of dry brushing and airbrushing will take care of that...

Looking for WWII, Nam items, Painted or Decaled Liners, and Military Pocket Bibles

My dog loves SPAM and snores like a drunken Sailor!

C Battery 2/32 FA BN

Sgt/E5

Giessen, Germany

1987-1990

remoteImage.gif

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Nice detail

RON

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I like it

I do (amateur) historical paint schemes for a combat flight simulator, and One comment I have gotten is "too clean", as I can add scratches, dirt, mud on gear doors, etc

I tend to shy away from making a very 'dirty' paint scheme although I do add subtle wear and tear. My rationale is that things were new once, and detail is easier to achieve and see without mud and rust, so I stay conservative of 'dirtying things up', myself. I think this diorama and model are just fine the way they are. Nice detail work

Very Nice! thumbsup.gif I used to make dioramas but have gotten away from military modeling,,although I am now thinking of getting back into it in order thave a model plane to go with my different pilot uniform groups. thumbsup.gif

By the way,,what is the military antique scene like in Poland? I have heard there are open markets where some good things can be had.

WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE - AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE, NORTON-HARJES AMBULANCE CORPS, AMERICAN RED CROSS IN ITALY, CZECH AND POLISH LEGIONS AND ANY ARTIFACTS ASSOCIATED WITH AMERICANS THAT SERVED IN FOREIGN ARMIES IN WORLD WAR ONE

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

ecSXx.jpg

"Je meurs content, puisque nous sommes victorieux! Vive la France!

There are some military markets in Poland but not specially dedicated to militaria, I would say it's more like big antique markets where You can buy all kinds of stuff. There are also typical military shows/reenacting events, where all military dealers come, and there are more and of them each year. People from Poland often visit Czech Republic, Germany or Belgium markets where they can find items for their collection. USA is a very popular market for those who collect US militaria.

This is a great model, and honestly, it wouldnt be muddy of it were fighting in a city, as the base would suggest. Most wheeled vehicles stuck to the road network as much as possible, and only resorted to cross country as necessity. This "muddy is accurate" opinion has no root in fact.

I put an M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle on a Desert base in an IPMS contest once. The Model was supported by photos of the vehicle protrayed, to include interior shots. (Our vehicles were certainly used, and the interior protrayed the visible use. Our unit required us to sweep out our vehicles at every opportunity so that sand and dust buildup would not hamper the operation of the vehicle). I had all the scrapes, smudges, oil stains, weathering and such, right down to the over painted markings, and an interior that while textured, painted, then weathered, was dubbed "too clean" and therefore not accurate enough to rate by the judges. The photos clearly showed my vehicle in combat, yet they still came up with this BS "reason" for my failure to adhere to accuracy. In the middle of the judging, I asked, right in front of everyone, just what were his qualifications to judge the condition of cleanliness of a vehicle in combat. Had he ever been in the military? No. Had he ever seen a vehicle in combat, or even involved in a field training excercise? No. Yet he was quick to point out one of his own models, an IDF M60, clearly based on a DRY desert base, covered in mud. THIS, he says, is what a combat vehicle should look like. I clearly announced that since the judges didnt know their collective butts from a hole in the ground, that there was no way anyone who was not in their "in" group could possibly win and that I had wasted my time even trying to compete. Needless to say, other than the beginers category, no one outside of the club that competed won anything. All the winners had trashed, rusty, muddy entries. Even those that were clearly displayed on bases that protrayed clean, dry roads, or dry landscape, with no broken muddy ground around it to support the look of the mud on the vehicle.

Just my two cents, but I think that people need to do a little more research and a little less conjecture. Great job on this model. It looks perfect for the setting it is based on.

Wayne

Freedom isnt free... it must be paid for. Too often it is paid for by the blood of patriots. For those who have paid their share, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice. I like it. thumbsup.gif

NRA & GCA Member

03 cruffler

Royal Order of the Bluenose

The problems our nation faces are not a result of deficiencies in our Constitution; rather, they are the direct result of our disregard for that divinely-inspired document of liberty.

Great model, but I noticed lots of loose gear just sitting out in the open and very little wear on moving surfaces, though. Like Wayne mentioned, I have noticed you can always tell when someone builds a model (or paints a picture) and has actually used the thing being represented. With model building, people model vehicles and aircraft the way they're used. Many model builders will argue paint schemes with one another yet have no idea they put the flaps on upside down on an airplane or have lose items sitting on a tank in motion. I once looked at the entries for a model contest and immediately pointed out the vehicle that was built by a tanker. The contest folks asked how I could tell, and I pointed out that all the gear was lashed down tight and out of the way of moving parts and pointed out the 1/35 scale igloo cooler and folding chair (lashed down with scale bungee and 100-mile-an-hour tape). Nobody but a tanker would think to model that!

As an artist, I simply cannot render in ink or pencil something that doesn't show how it would function if you could reach out and grab it. You can tell when an artist draws a rifle they've never shot before. It doesn't look like it'd function because they don't know how it works. Model building is exactly like that.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tom, thanks for sharing your great work. I really admire your modelling skills. Havn't seen the Ammo as yet, stunning! Could you share some more informations about how you did them "handmade"?

Lars

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif