WWII Couples Studio Photos

bobgee

M/Sgt George F. Kennedy USA marries WREN (Able Seaman) Elizabeth M. Brown British Royal Navy

post-34986-0-95498400-1366183852.jpg .

Left to right are: Miss Anne Jessyn, Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS); Sergeant Joseph Brescia, US Army 13th Major Port; Master Sergeant George F. Kennedy, 13th Major Port, Elizabeth Mary (Brown) Kennedy, Womens Royal Naval Service (WRNS); Pte Jack Brown, British Army and Miss Sheila Brown, the bride's Brother and Sister. The wedding took place in Dumfries, Scotland, 24 April, 1945.

The Bride was stationed aboard HMS Drake a base ship

http://en.wikipedia....HMS_Marshal_Ney

Notice how the British private's hair has been carefully cut so as to fit perfectly inside his forage cap! :lol:

Notice how the British private's hair has been carefully cut so as to fit perfectly inside his forage cap! :lol:

Funny you mentioned that Ian, at first glance I thought he did have on his side cap :lol:

He must have quite a shock of thick dense curly hair that it bunched up like that when he wore his caps :lol:

While I have you Ian, is Pte Brown's belt Pipe Clayed ( Blanco White)?

Funny you mentioned that Ian, at first glance I thought he did have on his side cap :lol:

He must have quite a shock of thick dense curly hair that it bunched up like that when he wore his caps :lol:

While I have you Ian, is Pte Brown's belt Pipe Clayed ( Blanco White)?

Certainly looks to be so, Kevin.

Working from a tip set via a PM, it dawned on me that this Pte Brown looks a helluva like Lyle Lovett both in facial features, and of course HAIR. :lol:

post-34986-0-34028900-1366253493.jpg post-34986-0-00705200-1366253565.jpg

Certainly looks to be so, Kevin.

Thank Ian, I guess it was done to basically give a more formal appearance, or maybe, he was a Guardsman? and had this White or Whitened belt as part of his standard kit? Too bad we can't see if he has the Guards Division's All Seeing Eye Formation Sign sewn on, his shoulder being blocked from view by his sister's shoulder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is a pic of my mom and dad in 1943 . They were both at Camp Shelby as dad was in the 338th INF/85th INF Div. Mom was a civilian worker there and met him at a dance. They and some other couples went down to New Orleans in order to get married and have a honeymoon all in the same weekend. Unfortunately, about a month or two later, they all found out that the Justice of the Peace who had performed the ceremonies was, in reality, a flim-flam man and had conned them all out of their money and that the marriages were all illegal. Things were cleared up finally and legal marriages were performed before the unit went to California for desert training. post-70300-0-94805400-1370464133.jpg

RustyCanteen

I do not know how I missed this thread, this is great stuff!

I try to pick up these photos when I see them.

This is a pic of my mom and dad in 1943 . They were both at Camp Shelby as dad was in the 338th INF/85th INF Div. Mom was a civilian worker there and met him at a dance. They and some other couples went down to New Orleans in order to get married and have a honeymoon all in the same weekend. Unfortunately, about a month or two later, they all found out that the Justice of the Peace who had performed the ceremonies was, in reality, a flim-flam man and had conned them all out of their money and that the marriages were all illegal. Things were cleared up finally and legal marriages were performed before the unit went to California for desert training. attachicon.giffathersday002.jpg

Curious it looks like he's wearing a French Fourraggere. The 338th Infantry never had one awarded.

I think that may be the strap from my moms purse as she was holding it behind him and a reflection off of his pocket edge.

post-34986-0-84922000-1370497698.jpg

Thank's 338th it might be it, I know it couldn't be the French Rope. HMM, as a thought, could it be a knotted cord for his Leaders Whistle ? Not that any one can really tell :lol:

Excellent photo by the way.

PS, we take by your user name and by your father's unit in this photo that he served thoughout the whole war with the 338th Infantry, would this be correct, sorry if you mentioned all this in any of your earlier topics or posts and I missed it.

• 6 months later...

getimage-dll2.jpeg?w=604

Don and Jan Smally of Sarasota, Fla. are pictured in their Army uniforms shortly after they got married during World War II.

Smally was a Sergeant in the 283rd Ordnance and Ballistic Technical Service Detachment, 3rd Army ETO, The photo taken before Smally went overseas. Jan Smally rose to Sergeant too, serving Stateside with the Corps of Engineers, a Clerk. Since she has on the Washington District patch, perhaps then at the Branch's HQ, who's offices where located in the Pentagon?

Don Smally passed away in April 2012 at 89 in Sarasota Fla, as far as I can tell Jan is still around.

That's a very interesting photo. Again, another uniform if seen at a show would be picked apart and disregarded as a "put together" job.

Keith

• 4 months later...

Frederick Gonzalez II & Willette Lakeburg on their wedding day, she opted for the wedding dress instead of her uniform

5-29-201085313PM.jpg

Thanks

These are couples and a bit earlier the WWI

Anyway here goes, if they are not appropriate a mod can remove

post-12145-0-12226900-1400633527.jpg

Damn I forgot about this topic, perhaps the Mods can move 45gov's two superb photos here with 45gov posting any other Pre WWII portraits WITH Family there.

• 8 months later...

Are they Vampyr? check out the fangs on the both :lol:

post-34986-0-15343200-1423275961.jpg

Of course not :D A nice WWII studio print of an unknown couple, the GI's unit and branch unknown,
he's a Tech Sgt for sure, and the photo may be an early war one as he's wearing the Garrison Belt and has no ribbons as of yet.