Bdu - Tacp Or Combat Controller?

MPage

I picked up a couple of USAF BDU coats, and would like some clarification on this one, below. I'm not sure that this isn't for a combat controller, as there are CC teams assigned to the 18th Air Support Operations Group (left pocket patch)...but there are also TACP's in that 18th ASOG.

I would imagine that this more likely is for a TACP air liason officer, as TACPs are more commonly assigned to army units, but I wasn't sure how this would work since there's a corps-level patch (XVIII Airborne Corps - left SSI). Whether for TACP or CC team, at corps level would he be in a support position - planning, etc? Don't know if I'm splitting hairs here; just trying to learn.

Note jump master wings.

post-257-0-07433100-1349834200.jpg

I have an identical DCU to the one you are showing here. I have wondered the same thing as you. Nice piece.

The 18th Air Support Group (1992 - 1994) then the 18th Air Support Operations Group (1994 - present) out of Pope AFB supports the entire XVIII Airborne Corps.

I would think if there was a squadron patch on the BDU like the 19th Air Support Operations Squadron, which is one of the squadrons of the 18th Air Support Operations Group, it would have a 101st Airborne Division patch? My notes on the patch I have of the 18th ASOG.

18th Air Support Operations Group squadrons

-14th Air Support Operations Squadron supports the 82nd Airborne Division

-15th Air Support Operations Squadron supports the 3rd Infantry Division

-17th Air Support Operations Squadron supports ????

-18th Weather Squadron

-19th Air Support Operations Squadron supports the 101st Airborne Division

-20th Air Support Operations Squadron supports the 10th Mountain Division

-21st Air Support Operations Squadron supports ????

-682nd Air Support Operations Squadron supports ????

Mark

post-1786-0-53963000-1349842033.jpg

I would think if there was a squadron patch on the BDU like the 19th Air Support Operations Squadron, which is one of the squadrons of the 18th Air Support Operations Group, it would have a 101st Airborne Division patch? My notes on the patch I have of the 18th ASOG.

Yeah the two enlisted TACP coats that I have, with ASOS (squadron) patches, have army division SSI's.

This one's lowest command patch is that 18th ASOG; the other pocket patch is the major command.

OK, as I had wondered, the air force has an "air support operations center" at corps level, which operates the air force "air request net" and basically co-ordinates calls for air support from divisions, brigades, and so forth.

• 2 years later...

-17th Air Support Operations Squadron supports ????

The 17th Air Support Operations Squadron (now 17th Special Tactics Squadron) supported all Special Operations Forces within the Army (Special Forces and Rangers).

Link: http://www.military.com/video/forces/special-operations-forces/17th-asos-action/3577994671001/