69Th Infantry Division Meets Russians -- Anyone Recognize?

rams2050

Hi, my father, who is the guy on the left (right side of the Russian) wearing the cartridge belt, was one of the first to meet the Russians on April 24, 25, or 26 in Germany. I have been told the location is Torgau, Strehla or Mochrehna.

My father never spoke to me about the war. He had terrible nightmares, and always felt tremendously guilty about having had to shoot the young boys that Hitler sent at the troops during the War's later stages. I know quite a bit about his service, mainly because when his Army pals would visit I would hide at the top of the steps and eavesdrop to hear everything that was said. Still, I have no idea what regiment or company he was with, and his personnel records burned up in the great fire of 1973. Still, I hold out hope of finding out more because I do have his s/n and I submitted that about a month ago because the government promised me that they would probably be able to find something if I had his s/n. Plus, I know many of the places where he served and the units he was attached to, just not the regiments (except for the 51st Field Artillery Battalion, Service Bn. A, which is where I think he started out his service after basic training at Fort Wood.

Anyway, if any of you have photos taken in the same general vicinity maybe you can help me out.

Much thanks to everyone!

post-100672-0-31368400-1349801969.jpg

post-100672-0-85600200-1349802146.jpg

My Dad documented everything, however. He had a photo album that you would not believe, plus every letter exchanged between him and my mother, an Army nurse. They had their problems, however, because Dad became an alcoholic, probably because of his War service, and my mother threw out EVERYTHING my father had so meticulously saved and catalogued, including the photo album, the letters, and autographed copies of a bunch of Bill Mauldin books, including a cartoon drawn especially for my Dad. (I don't know where he met Bill Mauldin, either, but he may have been attached for a time to the "Stars and Stripes."

My Dad, maybe to one up my Mom, donated all of his Nazi war souvenirs to the Missouri History Museum. He told me that if I ever wanted to get them back, which I do, all I had to do was ask, which I have -- over and over again. No reply, although I am nowhere near giving up on this quest.

Anyway, that is my story -- or more aptly, my father's. thank you for reading.

And a rare rare rare shot taken right before the actual link up from an album in my collection. My grandfather was in the 777th. torgau043.jpg