Id Ship's Locker?

EMC Militaria

EMC Militaria

Hello,

Can anyone help me identify what this locker is, where it would have been on the ship, who might have used it and what if would be worth? It was supposedly taken off the USS Yorktown when the set up an exhibit some years ago.

Thank you,

Eric

post-13166-0-05851500-1349745462.jpeg

Looks like an individual clothing locker in a ship's berthing space to me. Here's a picture from the LIFE Magazine photo archives on Google of a very similar locker. Clearly used by a ship's compliment Marine. The picture is captioned as being taken in Hawaii in 1940. Other photos from the same locale and time frame were captioned as being aboard U.S.S. Maryland, which, of course,post-545-0-06048400-1349819254.jpg had a Marine detachment embarked. The "chintz" edging to one shelf is a nice "homey" touch I thought!

I wouldn't even hazard a guess on the price of such an item. Never seen one before, but shipping charges would be a killer!!.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

Agree to a point. Not used by crew. Their lockers stopped at the shelf below the drawers and were three to a unit with three i.dividual doors. These also turned up in places used as gear lockers. But, there ya go, photographic evidence of use as clothinv locker by Marines.

Steve

If these were CPO lockers Steve would have used one at some point, I think more like Rep lockers and medical storage etc.

• 5 months later...
EMC Militaria

Thanks guys. The comments were very helpful. They sold that locker in Atlanta on Auction Kings for $900. I've never seen any others come up for sale. The show is running now if you want to see it.

Sgt. Boghots

That's a real interesting locker. In enlisted swabbie speak from my days, the two drawers secured with lock hasp would have been "A" drawer on top, "B" drawer on bottom. I never saw an enlisted men's locker with that much storage capacity.

I can't speak to the configuration of WW2 era CPO's lockers.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Ensign or Ltjg. lockers on a carrier to be of this or similar style.

I don't recognize it to be a "gear locker" as seen on at least WW2 tin cans. - Myself and another sailor "appropriated" an aluminum gear locker from the Naval Shipyard in Subic Bay, from a local shipyard employee for the price of a bottle of Cold Duck shampagne.

We carried across the quarterdeck during the ships workday while in port, packed it through the cipher lock into radio central, secured it into a corner of the radio shack, went to work on it with a hack saw, and installed a typhoon proof electric drip coffee maker we had bought at the Navy Exchange.

We had some monogrammed coffee cups for the CO, XO, OP'S Officer, COMM officer, and RMC made, and hung them inside. The rest of us pukes also had hooks for our cups BELOW the rest.

They reg's in 1972-75 were very explicit about unauthorized gear in work spaces. But this installation was never cited as a violation. The result was us regular guys never had to navigate any more trips back and forth forward to the galley for a cup of coffee while on watch. We had the Skipper and other members of the "O" club as guests for a lengthy stay more often, but they were great officers, and their company was enjoyed.

USS WHIPPLE, DE-1062 Westpac

Best regards,

Paul