VMF-214 items

JDK

JD, your collection is amazing, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you post these treasures. Thanks for sharing. Jon

Thanks Jon! Coming from a guy with a great collection like yours, I appreciate it!

On a side note,

There is a interesting thread going on regarding different variations of the 214 patch here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/157368-vmf-214-blacksheep-how-many-patch-types-used-during-ww2/

There's some great info and photos. If you have any interest in VMF-214 patches, I would check it out.

• 3 months later...

After lots of searching, I finally found a photo of McClurg wearing this same B3 Mae West. All thanks to the great new book "Swashbucklers and Black Sheep" by Bruce Gamble. I bought the book knowing it was very photo heavy with the hopes of seeing some of my gear in wear. I was very excited to find this photo and one in color no less!

post-22-0-19384700-1399231393.jpg

post-22-0-61761200-1399231395.jpg

post-22-0-58794400-1399231398.jpg

• 3 months later...

When I was a kid, my favorite serie was "black sheep squadron" and as there was no tv at home, I watched the serie in a tv shop ... then began my interest in USMC history ...

... and now, about 35 years later, I'm able to see real legit VMF-214's items on USMF, let me say that those items are stunning :o

Thanks for sharing ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great Stuff!

Glenn Bowers was a neighbor of mine and I recall the story of how he parted with his jacket. I've obtained lots of things from the family....

Including these....

post-6293-0-28887700-1405902752.jpg

Here's one more....

It's the invitation Glenn received to attend the ceremony in which Boyington was awarded the Medal of Honor (... at the White House).

(It's behind a frame - therefore it is a little fuzzy looking).

post-6293-0-18413000-1405945455.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...